Doily Holder : Over Rated or Real Deal ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hookman, Jan 10, 2019.

?

What do you think about Doily Holders?

1. Real Deal

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Over Rated

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Don't Know

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Who Cares

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I found this penny on eBay, of course, in what is referred to as a doily holder.
    What does anyone know about these holders and are they really worth the Brou-ha-ha being made over them.

All comments are encouraged and appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

They're even keeping a census of Doily holders over on the PCGS/CU forums.

I note that that coin is listed.

I voted "overrated" simply because I am not a collector of rare slabs, but if that thing were listed without any markup over the value of the coin, you can bet I would pounce upon it like the proverbial duck on a junebug, and sell it to someone who is a collector of rare slabs.

Jaelus, ddddd and Hookman like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Doily holder anecdote:

When I helped out in a coin shop here in Brunswick, GA in the early 2000s (back when there was still a coin shop in this town, before the dealer moved away), he had me list a coin on eBay for him. It was an 1854 PCGS MS65 RD large cent in a Doily holder (presumably the cert #8201248 example that is now listed in the census).

I would have loved to have bought the coin myself, but couldn't afford it. It went for somewhere north of $2K when I sold it for him on eBay.

Months if not a year or two later, I was strolling the bourse floor at the FUN show in Florida when I saw the very same coin in a dealer's case- at a much higher price. And I do not think that dealer was the person to whom I'd sold the coin on eBay.

Small world!

I resolved that if that coin ever crossed my path again, I would have to sell some stuff in order to buy it. But I probably won't keep that promise, even if I do see it again. It's simply out of my budget range.

Still, it was cool coming across it a second time by pure coincidence.

It had been part of a Jekyll Island, GA estate which my local dealer had bought several nice coins from. I remember a proof Seated half dime and some other cool stuff. The coins had been bought from Heritage back in the Doily era.

ddddd and Hookman like this.
  5. Hookman

I looked that penny over and didn't see what a " doily " holder was , unless it's describing the circular pattern of lacy circles that could be said to look like a doily.
    I understand that holder type was only used about 2 years and that is what makes it so in demand.I agree : Over Rated. I'm a firm believer that with enough Hype , anything can become valuable.

Thanks for your very interesting story.

6. lordmarcovan

Yes, the PCGS "Doily" holder is so named because the background pattern of the label resembles a lace doily. They are rare today and sought after by those who collect early TPG slabs, and they fetch a minimum of a couple hundred bucks regardless of what kind of coin is inside.

The large cent I mentioned is worth some strong money in its own right, but even a more common coin like this 1964 cent you linked up is worth something just for the plastic alone. I think $200-250-ish is about the minimum price for a coin in a Doily holder.

Looking here at the PCGS Museum of Coin Holders, it appears the Doily was made only in 1989, and thus was produced far less than the "2 years" you thought. I think it had a pretty short run.

Another really rare (and weird looking) PCGS slab is the Regency Holder.

ddddd and Hookman like this.
  7. Hookman

Thanks for the help and the correction. Obviously you are correct. Here's where I got that from. I googled " What is a doily coin holder? " and got this :
    Doily PCGS Holders - GreatCollections

https://www.greatcollections.com/kb/Doily-PCGS-Holders-t186-4.html

It said :
    The Doily holder is one of the most coveted holder/label types of certified coins. It was produced by PCGS for a short time from August 1989 through January 1990.

Obviously PCGS's own website is more correct. It says only 2 months.
    Yeah, I was remembering the two different years mentioned, rather than the total months, but even that was wrong.

Yes, that Regency is different.

Thanks again.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

The doily holder is fairly scarce and collected enthusiasticly by some. The eBay price on this example is too high in my opinion. I would say a closer number is $100-$150 (I sold a proof 1961 Franklin with around the same guide value in a doily for around $100 last year). A common date MS 63/64 Morgan in a doily would go for a bit more ($150-$250).

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a strange hobby this has become! Collecting coins by the rarity of their holder?!

JPeace$, lordmarcovan and Hookman like this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’ll admit it’s a bit strange.
    However, some people like me who collect holders are doing it to have an example of the history of grading. Just like there is a story for every coin, there is something each holder can tell about the developments and progression (not always forward) of third party grading.

One of my favorites, Compugrade, represents a time when people thought coins could be identified and graded by computers. It didn’t work, but it’s still a cool reminder of an earlier era.

And I do collect coins as my main objective, but the holders represent a nice subset of my overall collection.

2956B0AF-1092-4C9D-9A85-454B226016E1.jpeg
    8F18EBFE-F0F2-44B8-852B-C001E33BA68E.jpeg

Hookman likes this.
  11. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

I see that PCGS is having a limited time offer to put your coins in one of four different "retro" holders. If they don't have many people request those, well, maybe there will be a premium for these holders.

12. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Do you happen to remember why Compugrade didn't work?

13. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Because most submitters want their coins priced, not graded. This is why current TPGs market grade coins.

micbraun likes this.
  14. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

I've been collecting since before slabbing, so I don't get it. But then I collect 19th century electrotypes, cast, and struck counterfeits and Hard Times Tokens, so who am I to criticize?

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

The technology wasn’t there to achieve computer grading in the early 1990s. Plus there will always be a level of subjectivity in grading that a computer can’t handle (or at least couldn’t back in those days).

Some more info here:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/compugrade-sample-and-production-slabs.304049/

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, that's exactly why it is so-named.

This slab is genuinely rare. Many of them have been cracked out. It really doesn't matter what coin is in the holder - the value of a doily is based on the slab itself, not the coin. There are people who collect slabs, believe it or not - to them, the Doily ranks right up there with a 1916D dime or 1909S VDB.

The Doily and the Regency slabs are the kings of the PCGS series, for NGC it is the black core. Each of these will garner a significant premium.

Hookman likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes, that's why I named it that, because the patterns reminded me of a doily.

And of those the Black NGC is the King. They have a census for those as well and after 8 years of searching it is now up to 35 known examples. Premium value for a black NGC has been holding fairly solid at around $3.5 - $4K premium over the value of the coin in the holder. I created a monster on that one.

JPeace$ likes this.
  18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

They were used for less than 2 months. Less than 1,000 known now, but some have damaged rings. They are rare.

19. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Here is the one that I own. Sorry for the lighting. I bought it with a small collection. I really did not know what it was and didn't want the coin but I have held on to it. I'm happy I kept it.
    britannia 011.jpg

Hookman likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

To each his own. It's kind of strange, collecting plastic like that, and not my cuppa tea personally, but I can respect their madness. I've heard of stranger things.

Hookman likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

A Doily sample slab is good to have!

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted