Does your local dealer charge tax?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Fall Guy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Hmm, I would wager if someone took it to court the states would lose. The last court decisions clearly stated the tax must be on the consumer, not the retailer, to be legal.

Doesn't mean these states aren't doing illegal things though. They do it all the time with taxes until they get caught. Two recent illegal taxes in Ohio and Michigan prove that. They levied and collected grossly illegal taxes for 5 years before a Federal Court finally issued cease and desist rulings. The problem is these laws are drafted by legislatures wanting money, and not caring about legalities.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I go to two dealers in NW Indiana. The one guy charges tax (sometimes). The other (a family friend) doesn't.

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Don't know how I missed that.
    Thanks for pointing it out 89!

And Thanks Conder for posting it.

It is quite interesting the different way's they decide to try to take revenues from people, isn't it?
    Looks as the places with the bigger coin shows are easier to deal with on this then some of the others.

5. pappy-o

pappy-o coinoisseur

Calif. has gone down the toilet , they even tax the air you breath now & learning spanish is a good idea :( buenos something :D

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Buenos tardes mi amigo :thumb:

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

In Colorado Springs I pay 2.5% Colorado Springs sales tax on coins but no state sales tax.

8. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I agree that many such laws may be thrown out by various courts.

I'm not sure what the law is but I have not been charged sales taxes in any of the northeastern states in which I have done business, not even Vermont that has an active law. I spoke with a large show dealer who avoids some of the reporting laws by selling large quantities of pms, etc., to a buyer who do not require SS numbers of him, as say Apmex does. But if I were one of the big buyers, I would play by all the rules which exist for a reason.

9. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

Yea and the air you exhale. That nasty "pollution" we refer to as Co2

10. fireguy83

fireguy83 Member

in Georgia they dont charge sale tax

11. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

TAX....never heard of such a thing. At least not here in tax-free New hampshire

12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Well we do pay 9% for meals and rentals and there's also property tax though I suppose some don't have to pay that one. So I wouldn't exactly say never heard of such a thing in NH as tax as I also live in NH. Though we do pay higher costs for many things such as food,etc that I notice are cheaper in other states where my family lives when visiting even with their state taxes. But yeah no taxes on pm's or coins,etc.

13. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Who can forget the defiance of Mr. Franklin Sanders, "the money changer", against collecting or paying taxes?

"On January 9, 1990, just at dawn, the IRS struck. Although the agent investigating me knew very well that I was not violent, IRS agents and Tennessee Revenue Department agents roared in my driveway while the SWAT team in their black ninja suits poured out of the woods on either side of my house."
    http://the-moneychanger.com/answers/the_most_dangerous_man_in_the_mid_south

14. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

one of the dealers i go to here doesn't charge tax on coins and supplies when paying with cash (apparently he likes to break the law). he will charge it if you use plastic. the other dealers i go to charge tax on everything (like they are supposed to).

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

So if I drove to your store you would charge me sales tax? I think conder101 answered, but was not sure.

I do know this - my local dealer includes sales tax on every receipt. I also know I get a discount off the coin that usually covers the taxes or more - not always, but most times.

Draft saved Draft deleted