Does this Tiberius appear genuine?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

It appears to be a well-worn, well-centered example of this type. There is nothing that immediately appears to be counterfeit based on style or details. The weight seems about right.

Research on ACSEARCH indicates that Tiberius aurei in this condition typically sell for around $1200 not including buyer's fees. Only if you paid significantly less for the coin would I be suspicious.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I agree with Ides, looks like an ex mounted jewelry piece , typical wear and polished surface.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I hesitate to call a coin fake just from looking at an image. However, I do not like the looks of this coin. It reminds me of a well known fake of Tiberius:
    Tiberius 3 OBV.jpg

ominus1 likes this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..7.5 grams with wear?!?...idk..(is that a seam under cover?).i'm with @Bing on dis one...perhaps our expert will weigh in if he has time @Barry Murphy :)

7. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Since there are dozens, and maybe hundreds, of different die combinations for this particular aurei, it's not surprising that the OP coin resembles fakes as well as resembling authentic aurei as well. But note that you're comparing it to a fake denarius, not a fake aurei. It would be more meaningful if there were known fake aurei that resembled this coin.

I'm certainly not an expert so my observations shouldn't be regarded as definitive or final. I would note, however, that visually the wear on the aurei is quite different from the supposed "wear" on the fake denarius. In the aurei, the wear on the high points of the devices is extensive while the edges of the devices that touch the coin's field (survace) show less wear, as would be expected since these edges are protected from wear. But on the fake denarius, all devices and edges show the same smoothness of "wear" regardless of how protected those edges are from wear. (In particular, note where the lettering touches the surface of the coin, both obverse and reverse.)

My next question would be: where did the collector obtain this coin? Was it from a reliable source?

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  8. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Considering the price of a Roman aureus on the market, if this coin were offered by a reputable firm, say at a coin show, at $1,000 I'd buy it.

9. ominus1

..curse me the blabbed lip...i didn't realize it was gold..i scan read and i missed that part:eek::rolleyes:...i gotta get a colored monitor one o these days...:D

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am still watching an Admiral B/W 13 channel turn knob TV... stayed alive for about 15yrs. Circa 60’s upload_2019-12-30_18-24-43.jpeg

ominus1 likes this.
  11. ominus1

..hehe..i've got a couple of round glass front ones.. but i was trying to use that as an excuse for my mistake...:D..

12. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Thank you you everyone for both the opinions on the coin and the comic relief.

ominus1 likes this.
  13. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I have little experience with aurei and so am only competent to ask questions. My question is: is the raised edge normal for these? See e.g. 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the obverse, and especially 3 o'clock on the reverse. Looks odd, but maybe this is how the flans were normally prepped?

Draft saved Draft deleted