Does this silvered coin have bronze disease?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AntonineVerve, Feb 13, 2018.

1. AntonineVerve

AntonineVerve New Member

I recently bought a silvered AE1 Galerius follis from an auction and realized it has several powdery light grayish-green patches on it that I could remove with a wooden toothpick. There were no pits or holes underneath the patches after they were removed. You can see the patches best above the second 'M' in MAXIMIANVS, above the 'E' in GENIO, and on the Genius' abs in the pre-cleaning picture below. There were several harder dark green specks on the coin's reverse and the Genius' right arm that I am less worried about.

From this picture do y'all believe that any of these spots are likely to be bronze disease? Galerius.JPG

Alegandron, Bing and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I can't tell from the pictures, but from you description of the spots before removal I would see yes! Powdery, light greenish, and easy to remove = BAD

Such a great looking coin! Don't let the BD get it!

4. AntonineVerve

AntonineVerve New Member

What is the best ways to treat bronze disease that would be friendly to a silvered coin if this happens to be bronze disease?

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

AFAIK, the least harmful and easiest of all verdigris treatments is good old VerdiCare from our own @BadThad who compounded it.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Try acetone first as it will do no harm to the coin. If it remains, moisture in its environment must be minimized. Thad's compounds won't hurt, so it is worth a try. If you are not one to caress and talk to your coin, I would put it into a well sealed holder after the acetone rinse. I use mylar 2x2 and heat seal the opening. It should be good for a lifetime. If you are the opposite coin personality, if the before mentioned didn't do anything, enjoy it until it is too bad, and trade it in for a cleaner model. Sometimes no chemicals can maintain life. Jim

7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

From the photo there is nothing to indicate BD. From just the photo alone I would not touch it in any way. Messing with coins assuming there is something where nothing exists will only lead to damage.

benhur767, Ajax, TIF and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted