Does this pcgs slab look tampered with??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heavycam.monstervam, Mar 1, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Has anyone ever seen a defective inner core on a pcgs slab?? Its either that or this slab has been messed with..(or fake maybe) Anyway the outer shell looks good to my eyes,and the seam looks good, its just the inner part that looks off.. The coin inside isnt worth much so... what say you?? CAM01538.jpg CAM01516.jpg CAM01537.jpg CAM01523.jpg CAM01534.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I've seen those multiple times in the past and believe it is simply a defective gasket or a gasket that was heat damaged after it was sealed.

ldhair and rzage like this.
  4. robec

robec Junior Member

It is probably the result of something heat related. I held a photo contest 4-5 years ago. I sent the coin off to 26 participants who were scattered from California to New York and everywhere in between. The travels took about 8 months to complete.

When the coin returned the gasket was in roughly the same shape as your Washington quarter. I sent it to PCGS for a new slab........coin was fine.

gasket before
    [​IMG]

gasket area after

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rzage likes this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

That's good info guys, I actually avoided buying a coin the other day because the image was bad and the inner ring had that same damage. I intended to crack out the coin anyway, but had concerns about authenticity. Coin ended up selling under bid.

6. heavycam.monstervam

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I thought it was defective.. Being that the outer shell was perfect i figured as much. A quick ebay search wasnt fruitful and with all these fake pcgs slabs floating i wanted to be 100%. Its super convenient to post questions on here and get a fast response from knowledgeable folks like you

7. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

Why is a 1945 quarter in a slab?

I thought Washington quarters after 1940 were just junk silver.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1) It is a '45 S
    2) It depends on the grade.

Uncs are not necessarily junk silver

rzage likes this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Nice coin , I have a slab in the same condition .

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Because someone paid PCGS to put it there. Ba-bum-bump!

Seriously, though, there is nothing wrong with sending in a toned 1945-S WQ to PCGS or NGC in the hope of having it come back as MS67 or even MS66 or MS65 since the certification will likely increase liquidity at a certain price level.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

@heavycam.monstervam In order to change coins in a slab, you have to split the slab. Any split across the viewing area will be blatantly obvious. You cannot saw the slab because it will loose too much thickness. You must slice it. And you have to do that without crackling the slab and without scarring the surfaces. At least most of the edge has to be clear when reattached. Try it! I do not think it can be done. I have seen one slab where someone tried. It was obvious to say the least.

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Got irradiated a few too many times (i.e., once) in the mail.

13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have a few of these rings out of PCGS slabs, want to perform an experiment? I assume that the ring of the coin that @robec sent around was damaged by the heat of a lamp. I assume also that since the ring is injection molded that the weakest point would be on the opposite side of where the injection was done. I have a pretty hot lamp on it, let's see how long it lasts.

14. heavycam.monstervam

Actually i have a few anacs yellow slab rings from presidential dollars... no idea why i bought them it was a 12 coin pds set... anywho, after nobody @ the flea market would buy em i cracked em out and stuck em in easter eggs for my kids...i wish the easter bunny was that generous when i was a kid!!! or santa claus or the tooth fairy for that matter....

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice thread. It's great for folks to understand what causes this look. There are lots of slabs out there with heat damage.

Draft saved Draft deleted