Does this MS61 have wear?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mill rat41, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I've owned this coin for a while now, but too my novice eyes it looks like this coin has wear. It is graded ms61 by NGC. I've heard the term "roll friction" is this it?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It does appear to have some minute wear in those spaces you point
    Out!!

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Gold is not my bag, but that looks to me to be a weak strike and no wear.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since the places you have pointed out are obvious, I'm going to trust NGC to:
    - not have missed them
    - decided (correctly) they are not wear.

I believe it to be a weak strike.
    That, along with the many dings and rubs, has resulted in the MS-61 grade.

6. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

I don't know squat about them, but the curl in the hair behind the "Y" in liberty seems to be one of the highest points and looks perfect. I would have to trust NGC on this one too...

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I guess I'll have to go along with mill rat on this one. To me, that is an AU coin that has been graded as MS61 because the wear it has is minimal.

No I do not dispute that the coin could have a weak strike. A weak strike could well be the reason for the flat spots on the hair.

But, a weak strike would not account for the lack of luster on the cheek and neck, which can be plainly seen by looking at the recesses around the mouth, nose, eye and hollow of the neck. Those places still have the luster. Nor the lack of luster in the fields, like behind and below the hair bun where the luster has been rubbed off while all field areas completely around it have luster yet. The same for the area below the chin and in front of the neck.

As has been discussed many times before, TPGs seemingly rarely assign an AU grade to coin anymore unless there is excessive loss of luster in the fields. Instead they will assign a low MS grade to a coin that has wear, and wear from circulation or handling - not from being in a roll or a coin cabinet.

PCGS states this flat out in their published grading guide.

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

A question to the grading experts then. At what point can you safely say a Mint State coin will not actually have circulation wear? MS63? Then should MS60 thru MS62 coins not be referred to as "Uncirculated" when they are described for sale? Would it be politically correct for CAC not to grade any of these coins with Gold Beans, except perhaps MS62? No wonder there is all this trickery and slight of hand going on in our hobby.

9. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Doug is right about the luster. Looking in hand, there is a "halo" around most of the portrait with no luster. Yet, the rest of the fields have luster - as do the protected areas of Miss Liberty (such as the low area around the eye). No one asked about the reverse, but it is real nice.

I think I heard once that they will grade a coin with minimal wear up to MS64.

10. GDJMSP

It's a good question Sam, but not one you're likely to get an answer to. You see, the market - and the market is us - don't like the idea of a lot of our coins being called circulated. They much prefer that they are called MS.

It allows them to look at their collection with more pride. It allows them to own MS coins that could not otherwise afford. It allows them to fool themselves into believing that they own something that it is not.

So, the TPGs will continue to do what the market wants. To use their term, what the market accepts - until the market no longer accepts it.

If and when that day comes, then we will see coins with obvious wear being graded as AU or lower. Until then, coins with minimal wear - and what is considered as being minimal has been steadily increasing over the years - will continue to be graded as MS - when they really aren't.

11. namvet4

namvet4 Junior Member

If I understand, you are supporting the concept that the TPG are market grading as opposed to technical grading? I ask since as a novice it is hard for me to determine the grade and a value for the coins I like to collect; for example the 1936 Gettysburg Half Dollar. I collect because of my interest in what the coin represents, but I want to be mindful of future value as these coins will be part of an inheritance.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Here's a piece that I picked up back in the '70's...still in the original 2x2. I picked it up as BU but have since come to realize it's more AU. Doug, are you saying this (or a piece like it) piece could end up with a MS designation? Not that it matters much to me.

Attached Files:

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Looks like wear to me.

14. GDJMSP

Nope, not that one green. That one is too far gone. It only has luster remaining in protected areas and a small amount on the devices. In my opinion it would at best grade AU50.

The AU coins that are typically graded as low MS are 55's & 58's. But mostly 58's.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Thanks for clarifying that Doug.....:)

16. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A Nice Liberty Specimen

Having collected these "art pieces" for more than 3 decades, my opinion is that you have a beautiful specimen of this Liberty coin, which has better "eye appeal" than some certified MS63 coins in my accumulation. Having said that, I would recommend that you visit a library to learn of the different coinage/distribution processes which were used initially, and evolved to current processes where collectors are searching for deviations. I believe you will find that these <century old coins can truly be uncirculated, and yet have wear from the normal production/handling processes. I can supply examples of "top tier" MS63 certified coins which are lack-luster, with bag rub/wear/marks. Having handled numerous Liberty coins, my observation from your photo, is that I believe your coin to be "undergraded". :)

17. GDJMSP

Yes, but no at the same time.

It's pretty involved really and it would take a lot of writing to explain, but I have explained it all many times in the past. It is really a discussion on an entirely different subject.

Yes, the TPGs use market grading. But most people don't understand what market grading is - or how it differs from technical grading. And that's the no part - those differences.

But technical grading has not been used, pretty much by anybody in the hobby, since 1986 when the ANA adopted the market grading system and quit using technical grading. That was also the time that the TPGs came into existence - and it is not a coincidence that both happened at the same time. It was a planned event.

Today when most people think of market grading they think it means that the TPGs price coins instead of grading them. And to a degree that is true.

But what they don't understand is that the market grading system itself has changed in recent years. It has evolved if you will into something far different than it was.

The changes have been gradual for the most part. But, and this is my opinion (others disagree as to the timing), I think the most distinct changes came about in 2003-04. It is then that coins began to be over-graded much more often than ever had been. But the marketplace accepted the grades being assigned and went right along with it without so much as a whimper. Except from me, and a few others like me. And believe me, we are the minority.

And again, it is no coincidence that the coins beginning to be over-graded coincided with the temporary peak in market prices. And it continued for the next 3 years. The market took a short respite in 2004, and then continued on to new highs through 2007.

It was only in 2008 that prices began to drop back. And by 2009, collectors and dealers everywhere were crying the blues about how the TPGs were tightening up their grading standards. Claiming that coins that were routinely being graded as MS65's were suddenly being graded MS64's (assign any similar 2 numbers of your choice).

Now to me these events add credibility to my way of thinking. Others disagree and claim that the TPGs tightening grading standards had to do with the introduction of CAC into the marketplace. That to me is the coincidence - not the cause. I believe that as prices dropped - so did the grades. Just as the grades went up as prices increased.

Anyway, you're probably terribly confused by now. But as I said, it is comlicated. And there is even more to it than that. But that is the short version.

18. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Great information!

19. namvet4

namvet4 Junior Member

Thank You GDJSMP! I admit to confusion, but a lot less now that you have shared your facts and opinions. This entire site is great for sharing and I appreciate it.
    For now, I will err on the side of caution and collect the older commems in slabbed condition at the best grade I can afford. As for the moderns, well that is another story.
    This is a great thread and very enjoyable and informative to read!

20. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Great Explanation!!

I believe that I can speak for most in stating: "A Great Candid Explanation !!" :bow::high5:

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Thanks for sharing. I thought I was "misremembering" how to grade, but I still use technical grading with a condition based net grade. If I get the situation right, the TPGs are net grading for value or detail grading for problem coins.

I'd like to see both detail and strike/condition grading standards and I suppose toning is another separate category. Then the TPG would read something like "VF20 (detail)/ G8 (net for condition) Weak Strike/Corrosion/Scratches/Cleaned/Etc [Optional] RB/FS/Variety/Error/Etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted