Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Wood duck 72, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Wood duck 72

Wood duck 72 Member

Went into a bank yesterday(which I am a member of) and I had 200 dollars worth of quarters. I wanted to trade them in for 200 dollars of mixed rolls of quarters. The lady in charge said they were short of quarters and couldn’t do it. I said to her you will still have the same number of quarters if I give you my 200 and you give me 200. She still said she couldn’t do it. What am I missing here?

Stevearino, GH#75, john65999 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

There's actually a huge quarter shortage going on right now,it's happened to me plenty of times.

4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone who can not/would not apply common sense to current policy. Taking the $200 of quarters to a different facility would be an option...

GH#75, john65999 and philologus_1 like this.
  5. Wood duck 72

Wood duck 72 Member

I drove to another branch of the bank and they let me have 350 dollars in quarters.

Stevearino, GH#75, john65999 and 3 others like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Just trying to be a stickler .....or being a jerk ,and not the soda kind. :jawdrop::hilarious:

usmc 6123 and john65999 like this.
  7. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

LOL you now have a preferred branch!

usmc 6123, UncleScroge and spirityoda like this.
  8. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

The quarter shortage is probably my fault. I nearly always pay with plastic, but whenever for some reason I use cash, I only have paper with me, so I get lots of change that I never spend.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

But the point he was trying to make was he wanted to exchange $200 in quarters for the same amount in quarters. They wouldn't be short.

1stSgt22 and john65999 like this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

(Yes exactly)$200 of quarters isn't a lot especially if business need some and they can't really give any away.Most likely just a late delivery which is why they were so short.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Maybe the bank didn’t have $200 in quarters and she didn’t explain it very well.

john65999 likes this.
  12. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Some bank employees think rolls searchers are a pain and don’t want to waste their time. Hard not to empathize with them with interest rates so low. Now if you had a couple hundred thousand sitting there they probably would have given you the quarters with a smile.

daniel a DiBiasio likes this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

How do you know?do you work at that bank,sometimes they don't have it.One time I only asked for $50 in quarters and $10 in cents they didn't have it and gave what was available.Or the bank just didn't want to deal with the op.

JP@ likes this.
  14. Mark68

Mark68 Well-Known Member

Don't forget, some banks have to bag them and send out. That would leave them short.

masterswimmer likes this.
  15. Cvette2015

Cvette2015 Member

Could be the quarters you brought in, if loose had to be sent off to a central location to be counted and rolled. If you had rolled them, they still might have to send them to a central location to be counted and rolled by the bank. So if they had to be sent out, they would have a lot less quarters. Back in the old days, when I was a kid and dinosaurs roamed the earth, you could roll them yourself and all you had to do was put your address on the roll in case it was short they had a way to track you. IMHO

16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

It may be that they have an internal policy not to give out quarters. Even if it was an even switch, it could still be against an internal policy and the teller just didn't want to go into it with you. Is this the bank you do all of your regular business? I've been banking with our State Credit Union since 1975. I had a problem that I couldn't fix. It was for a $180 charge on my VISA. One of the management said let me take care of it. Next day the charge was gone. I've had one glitch with the Credit Union. I got a nice letter from a Vice President apologizing for the problem and he personally took care of it.
    Unless the bank you try to get coins from are not your personal bank, don't expect to get too much help, but most of them will still bend over backwards to help you.
    Best of luck.

17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. I work at PNB - Paddyman National Bank :wacky:

Just forget it, what do I know? :yawn:

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  18. potty dollar 1878

I get it,$10 worth of your finest cent errors please:hilarious::hilarious:.

usmc 6123 likes this.
  19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I've encountered this explanation a few times.
    When a customer brings in their CWR's the banks' policy is to not hand them out. They send them to Loomis or another sorter. They only release BWR's to customers to avoid any potential 'shorts' in those rolls.

So having the teller say there's a shortage, although it's an even exchange, is not the exact correct explanation but it does express an implied shortage of on hand BWR's.

20. Wood duck 72

Wood duck 72 Member

The quarters I brought in were all 2021 in rolls from Loomis. I had picked them up from another branch of the same bank. They had to break the rolls open and run the quarters through the counter. MasterSwimmer might have the answer stated above that they now have to send them back to Loomis to be rerolled? I know my other bank that I go to rolls the coins themselves.

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I think they just didn't want the trouble and work. If the quarters you wanted to give them were loose, think of the staff, time, labor, to count and roll them. Even if you had them rolled, many banks and businesses won't take customer rolled coins. They crack them open, count them, and then roll them.

Draft saved Draft deleted