Does this look ms65 to you???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Mar 1, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Hey guys i was cruisin the bay a minute ago and saw this one... just thought id get your opinion... Does this coin belong in a gem holder?? Would this be an example of market grading?? The coin DOES have good luster but i cant seem to get past all that chatter in the obverse field... The central devices look sorta rough too... I know this is a tough date and they are asking $5200 obo.. Anywho what do ya guys think??? $_2.JPG $_3.JPG $_3-1.JPG

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I do like the mirrored fields and there seems to be less marks on her face than most I see. I'm not a fan of the marks left of her nose, but they are forgivable for the overall appeal of the coin. I'd say it's somewhere in the 64-65 realm. Having said that, the coin is way out of my budget and I wouldn't buy it either way.

Endeavor and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  4. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

If this were a GTG thread I probably would have guessed 64.
    May have gotten an eye appeal bump. Surfaces do look semi PL. The lighting appears to be pretty strong and direct, I'm guessing those marks aren't as noticeable in hand and under softer light.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1st eBay and the America Dream of getting Rich.
    MS 64 plus 1891 Philadelphia not easy to find above MS 63 that is my2c
    But NOT a Expert!!!

6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I almost did a gtg on it but ive done like 3 of those in the last few days lol

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I had a lot of certified 65's in my collection, and I have to say that none had as many detracting marks. In every instance, the face was very clean. I'd say 64.

Chris

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not a 5 in my book

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd pass. If all those marks were behind the head instead, I'd consider it at 64, but I don't like it as is with a 65 grade.

10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Is there a big price jump from 64 to 65? If so I bet that coin was submitted a few times. Would it cross at grade to pcgs? I seriously doubt it.

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This is a tough coin to judge from a photograph. The fields are prooflike which always make marks and luster grazes look much worse than they actually are. The cheek has some minor blemishes but nothing that should keep it out of a gem grade holder. I think the coin is a low end MS65, but it is not something I would buy sight unseen.

Tater, Paddy54, Kirkuleez and 2 others like this.
  12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

If I were in the market for an 1891 in 65, I'd keep looking.

dwhiz and jello like this.
  13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I like what Jello and Paul said . PL coins tend to show off marks more . I also think it was market graded up a point as these are usually terribly struck with poor luster. If I were to grade her I'd go 64 .

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I would have judged this a 64. As Lehigh said, I believe the reflective fields are showing more than normal. However, the heavy contact mark at 10 o'clock in the field bothers me more than the surface abrasions directly in front of Ms. Liberties nose.

dwhiz likes this.
  15. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

16. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

17. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

63+1
    .... there was a time when this thread could have easily been "Body bagged, is this damaged ?" I've see coins with similar hits/gouge/scratches like the on in front of eye get body bagged years ago. If as prominent as imaged, I'd pass, or purchase only at heavy discount for resale. I'm thinking it is not as bold as imaged.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

What mark are you saying would have got this coin body bagged . I just don't see it where it ever would have been body bagged . JMHO

19. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It looks overgraded by a point to me.

dwhiz likes this.
  20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't totally disagree with the grade, but if find a better example for the money.

21. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Most of the coin looks MS65. But OUCH that gigantic gouge on the left scares me....

Draft saved Draft deleted