Does this dime feel sketchy to you?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Mar 29, 2015.

1. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

I have seen alot from GSC auctions and alot of them coins looks like it had been cleaned. But they seems to sell them. Not sure about how many returns but they do have high ratings. Alot of the seller who sells Seated or older stuff on Ebay are like taking a chance to see what you get in real time. Back in the days with Ebay I have been kinda lucky with purchases. Like Barber quarter and Standing Liberty all came to BU after being slab. Now these days I am not sure want to buy stuff from seller who say Gem or High grades turns out to be AU cleaned. Ran into several of them. You better off buying from your local coin shop or shows. At lease you are able to see the actual coins.

jtlee321 and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Got that right! I wouldn't buy diddly from Great Southern simply because they use pumped up pics. No need for all that if you have a nice looking coin. Go to someone else. angel4.gif

4. EagleEyez

EagleEyez Hoarding coinage since 1974

I've bought a bit from this 'red background' seller, but only when I could get the opening bid which is usally just a bit higher than melt. Some are cleaned, some are not. I suspect it has more to do with the seller's source. Also it's been about a year since, so things may have changed with the vendor. Been suspect of GSC, but have no experience with them, I would not purchase the coin OP posted.

5. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

GSM is one of those high volume E-Bay sellers that has listing that just scream out "bad deal". If you have to use flowery descriptions and tilted pics to sell your coins then they probably aren't a good deal. A good pic and a few words is all that is needed, unless posting some interesting facts.

6. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

I avoid 'red background guy' too. I don't know why really. Just a gut feeling.

EagleEyez likes this.
  7. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I hesitate even on slabbed coins from GSC because I always wonder how they will actually look in hand. If the photos are artificially enhanced then they are exaggerating the coin's eye appeal which would make the selling price higher than it would be otherwise.

8. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I avoid both of these sellers when ever I see their listings :nailbiting:

9. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

Check the rest of the seller's coins, if they are the same color then buyer beware

EagleEyez likes this.
  10. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

No original luster = altered surfaces.

It probably was cleaned or whizzed.

Draft saved Draft deleted