Does this dime feel sketchy to you?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

So I've been going through eBay looking for an 1838 seated dime. It's to replace the one I was given as a child and then in my teens, foolishly sold to buy sports cards probably. Anyway, I came across this auction and it just doesn't look right. I'm no expert in the seated coins, but it just looks off to me. What are your thoughts?

Here is a picture from that auction.

image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Its real probably altered surfaces

4. jtlee321

I guess it's just me. It feels like a counterfeit. Lady Liberty looks off to me. Mostly it's her face.

Spud Koolzip likes this.
  5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

yeah, not a very attractive woman

6. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Looks good to me !

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, that seems to be one of Great Southern's specialties. Looks pretty heavily cleaned to me, but they often light their photos in such a way as to make it hard to judge.

ldhair and KurtS like this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I will second this. While I've no immediate concerns with authenticity, I would respectfully suggest searching out a different vendor, perhaps one whose talents are devoted more to presenting a true-to-life in-hand appearance.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The coin is genuine, but I would not advise someone to buy it.

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Although their feedback doesn't reflect it, this seller has a reputation for selling cleaned coins. I also don't like that this listing says "scarce in UNC condition" but doesn't actually state the coin is uncirculated (which it probably isn't -- my guess is AU cleaned).

OTOH, they do have a 14-day unconditional return policy, and a similar reputation for honoring that policy. I'd walk away on this one, but if you want to roll the dice and see what you get, you won't be out much except possibly return shipping.

KurtS likes this.
  11. jtlee321

Thanks guys. That's why I joined this forum. My feelings were off in the wrong area but were still firing for the right reason.. LOL

12. jtlee321

Here's another that I just watched go for $86.99. It's from a different seller, but it screamed cleaned to me.

$_57 (1).JPG $_57.JPG

13. Paul M.

I think I know which seller this second one is, too! Red Background Guy, as I'll call him, seems to have a lot of "BU" coins that look cleaned. I agree with you on this one... again, AU at best, probably cleaned.

jtlee321 likes this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That just goes to show that your hearing is intact. :)

jtlee321 likes this.
  15. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I know that seller--they always use that same crusty red background LOL. Unlike GSC, their photos look overexposed and not fiddled with. I bought an IHC from them that looked almost cleaned, but it turned out to be OK. Not sure about this coin though...it looks dipped at least.

16. jtlee321

LOL.. I'm trying to educate myself in the seated coin arena. I know there were several minor design changes. Also it's a bit tough judging a coin from photo's.

17. jtlee321

The thing bothering me with that second one is the haloing around the stars on the right side and the horizontal hairline scratches across her thigh

18. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've purchased and returned two coins from GSC. The images are a really poor representation of the coin in hand. They don't just sell cleaned coins, but for the most part they are cleaned. Most people don't trust them so you can get a decent deal on their slabbed coins if you keep an eye out.

19. jtlee321

Thanks for the tip Kirkuleez..

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Judging from the amount of dreck peddled, it sure seems as if someone trusts them, Kirk. Of course its also fair to assume that many of these trusting souls are in for a future surprise, but I digress. Carry on.... ;)

21. Paul M.

I'm wondering if their slabs are typically low end coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted