Does this coin type look familiar to you? I'm lost lol

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Xodus, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

This type of coin is not one I am familiar with. It looks Roman, due to the radiate crown, but the lettering and the reverse is something I've not seen before. It almost looks like the old Indian coins I come across. 17-18mm.

If anyone can help a sort-of n00b with where to start on IDing this, that would be great. Thanks!

IMG_20211020_155341879.jpg IMG_20211020_155359164.jpg

Bing and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

doesn't ring a bell here...maybe a Celt or some other group coinage copying Romes?...idk..

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

A shot in the dark, but perhaps Volusian? The kid has that sort of head.
    Volusian RPC Antioch 1286.JPG

Xodus and Bing like this.
  5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Looks like a "barbarous radiate" (search that term for more info). Interesting, I have no idea what that thing on the reverse is even supposed to be.

Xodus and ominus1 like this.
  6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Yes, it's a "barbarous" radiate. The reverse isn't properly oriented, but it's a standing figure, like PAX

Xodus and Parthicus like this.
  7. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

[Edit] I could make an argument for Hilaritas (palm and cornucopiae) but I'm not sure if it's an exaggerated palm or a "legend". It could well be that the person who engraved the die wasn't so sure himself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Xodus and Parthicus like this.
  8. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

It looks like a drunk guy tried to draw his wife or something lol. Thanks for all the input. I'll label it accordingly, thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted