Does this coin look legit to you?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bonbonbelly, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

wouldnt touch it

4. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It looks to me like cast pot metal.

6. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Looks like a cleaned or wiped example. It is an O-105 variety. I say its good - just messed with.

7. Saint Bunny

Saint Bunny New Member

only took me .5 secs to know its odd

8. Bedford

Humm.. it took me 2 mins to look it up in two different books & confirm its variety & attributes are correct. 99.999999% of the time counterfieters do not do varieties to the point of being close enough to confirm that it is an actual variety. Even more true on the 1836 that has 23 varieties ,this being a common one .My assesment is based on fact of presented knowledge from books that were written by people who are smarter than me.

9. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

I'm no expert with these, but shouldn't a 'lovely AU' have a pretty sold rim?

10. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

That's exactly what I was going to say. I normally look at the rim for denticles that look weird. With this coin, there are few whole ones even to inspect. That being said, the seller looks legit and I am not an expert.

edit: Here is a previous forum discussion that might help? Bust Half Dollar Edge Lettering Error??

11. Bedford

While no longer a collector of the series it was my main focus from 2006-2010 . Many examples do not show denticles & it is not a requirement for a coin to grade AU (not saying the OP's posted coin is or is not AU) . Strength of denticles (milling) falls under the same line as weakness in the motto on reverse ribbons. Usually the culprit is lack of metal flowing into said areas . This is caused from irregular planchet thickness & while that sounds odd ,a few tenths or hundreths of a millimeter of missing or unproportioned metal can & will cause this effect in non collared screw press minted coins.
    What is important on the above posted coin is the denticle at 12 o'clock. It is wide & open to the rim .That among many other PUPS is a die marker for this variety.

12. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

If it has obverse and reverse diagnostics of a known variety I am inclined to agree it's probably real. It's the same way with large cents, most counterfeiters have a single master obverse and reverse hub, often not from the same coin. All they do is change the date, so it's not uncommon to have a whole run 1831, 1832, 1833, etc. with one obverse variety from one year (say 1831n3), paired with a reverse die from a different variety (say 1827n1).

Single best method I have found to spot fakes, know your die varieties as they are almost never faked correctly.

13. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

No bids yet. I think I'd put a bid in there and see if you pick it up cheap.

14. coinup

coinup Junior Member

If you have to ask...... :cool:

15. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

14 day money back - so all you would lose is shipping if it was indeed a fake - and you might not even have to pay that if you contact the seller

16. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to pass on this one.

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

18. Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips Junior Member

I concur. So many other coins with no issues to spend that $199.00 on.

19. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Genuine, but pretty badly cleaned I think. Personally I wouldn't go for it, but I'm sure that it's not fake at least.

20. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

its a fake
    or im donald trump

21. Bedford

Yep, that does sound like something Donald Trump would say .Nice to meet you Don-:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted