Does this 1886 morgan dollar look cleaned to you?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Artillery87, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Artillery87

Artillery87 Active Member

I read on PCGS coin facts that some 1886 morgan dollars were known to have a satin/greasy look to them and also alot had a weak strike on the reverse, particularly in the center. Do you think this coin is just a textbook example of this or could it have possibly been cleaned? Thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

If it's graded by PCGS, NGC, ANACS, or ICG, and the label doesn't say cleaned, then it is absolutely not cleaned. Even if it was a raw coin, it doesn't look cleaned. The obverse is a bit suspicious, but the luster would have been affected if it was cleaned.

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

It doesn't looked cleaned to me either but it's hard to tell for sure without examining it in-hand.

Bruce

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20221023-112112_Phone.jpg

AdamL likes this.
  6. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

If that coin has been cleaned then all the coins have been cleaned.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No it has not been cleaned. Maybe dipped a long time ago but no signs of cleaning. If it was dipped, it looks done correctly.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, it almost certainly has been dipped. That orange/rust colored spotty toning at the top of the obverse and bottom of the reverse are classic signs of a dip. In fact, that's a sign that the dip was not rinsed and neutralized properly (that is, the dip was not done quite as correctly as it should have been).

However, a dip is usually considered acceptable and not designated as cleaning, unless too much of the surface was removed and it left a dull, lifeless coin. That does not appear to be the case for your coin.

ldhair and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Looks fine to me also.

10. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I don't think so....tat absolutely not cleaned thing. No. Just, no.

AdamL likes this.
  11. Artillery87

I don't think it has been cleaned either, but somebody at PCGS had a different opinion. I just don't get it, it has luster and doesn't look cleaned to me. MAYBE a quick dip and rinse done properly to preserve the coin but I am not even positive it has been dipped to be honest. I don't think it should be a details coin anyway. It's actually a pretty nice coin! We all know that there are tons of mint state dipped coins in holders that look way more obvious than this. I may get a second opinion. Should I?????

Attached Files:

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just leave as is as it’s not worth the cost to regrade. Almost 20 million were minted so it’s a common date coin. My 2022 Red Book places the value in MS-64 at $75.00.

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks honest to me, aside from what Jason said, which still keeps it honest. :)

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Did you buy it this way or are you the original submitter?

15. Artillery87

I bought it this way. I wonder what the grade might be if it wasn't a details coin? That is what would make it worth it to me to regrade if it has a shot at ms65 or better. It is a pretty clean coin....

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's just dulled-out with age, not cleaned.

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Not cleaned. I don’t know if it’s been dipped or grimy. A acetone soak wouldn’t hurt it but definitely acceptable surface

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

If they grade the coin, then it could have been cleaned.
    But they deemed it acceptable

19. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Don't see anything to indicate it was cleaned. But, if it has been cleaned, I want to know how!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted