Does PCGS grade zinc rot/bubbles coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Spiritawahili, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Thanks all for the help.

Does PCGS grade zinc rot/bubbles coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I would say no. And if they did I probably wouldn’t suggest sending it in.

4. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

lol, I don't know, they may not if it has damage already.
    mailto:info@PCGS.com

5. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Thanks .. why wouldn't you send it in?

6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Because it’s a damaged coin and worth 1 cent. Even if it’s just playing bubbles that’s really common and still worth 1 cent.

7. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. when I first started collecting and I came across the coin that was completely covered with bubbles front and back I thought wow. LOL
    Right now on eBay, the photos are all of the same coin of the picture on the left. This person is asking $258.49.

Screenshot_20190725-224839.png Screenshot_20190725-224817.png Screenshot_20190725-224732.png Screenshot_20190725-224647.png

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

On ebay, what a seller asks for a coin and what they get for a coin are often two vastly different amounts. Only trust the "sold" listings.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  9. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

I'm not interested in what he's selling it for. I'm asking about PCGS encapsulating a zinc rot coin.

10. Autoturf

I don't know what it looked like when they graded it, but, personally I think ive seen better in circulation that old. oh ok, that fs 901 im not sure what that is, says wide am, so not sure what the value is.
    Edited. ok Fs 901 is showing no FG, but that does not seem to add much, I don't know.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  11. Autoturf

You can buy a complete 1988 mint set P and D for around 4-5 $ ebay.
    Correction 3 $ new untouched.
    s-l225A602W1CC.jpg

Ima Dragon likes this.
  12. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

On eBay right now. The 1988 ms67 red wide a.m. it's listed for $5,000. And a couple of ms63 reds are a little over three hundred

13. Autoturf

Ok, so its reverse of 89? no FG? I found one for 15 (not slabbed). no that one has the FG, hum, I guess that one is rare. don't know how long it would last.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Crap and more crap. Any post 82 cents are worth exactly 1 cent in my opinion regardless of condition. Pre 82 not much better. Depends on the copper market. Give me large cents any day

Ima Dragon likes this.
  15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

No? Then why have you quoted eBay prices twice already in this short thread?

If you're going to quote prices, expect responses about prices.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  16. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

I posted the prices because I'm intelligent enough to know that sooner or later someone is going to ask me how much those coins are selling for. Indians think about what their going to say, how they're going to say it, what other people are going to think from those comments, that's why we're so intelligent. Thank you for your reply.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  17. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Maxfli... When I commented back to you that I wasn't interested in the prices and that I was interested in why PCGS was encapsulating coins with zinc rot, I would bet you took my response in a negative way, didn't you? I would bet you thought I was being a smart alec. Just so you know, I don't live the Jerry Springer life. In this post I am only interested in what PCGS is encapsulating.

18. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Nobody here is going to care about prices for rotted Zincolns.

I'll repeat, if you're going to bring up the subject of prices, be willing to entertain responses about the same without getting snippy. A person of such great intelligence should understand that. :D

Ima Dragon likes this.
  19. Spiritawahili

Spiritawahili Member

Now we're finally to the whole reason this conversation is happening. If you look at my original post and everything I said you would see that "you took it personal". My words were straight and to the point with no personal attack or any other wording that would signify a smart alec remark. Just straight and to the point. It's called delusional thinking and I've done it myself. Seeing that people are only seeing words on a screen, they put their own meaning to those words by where they are in their life. And the last of it is. I will post whatever I want to post and take no orders from you or any other man or God. Because... And enlightened man needs to be no man's disciple. And you have a beautiful day and I hope everything is going good for you and your world.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Forget everything else. The FS-901 is a transitional variety. The FG is not missing it is just a bold /strong FG that is found on 1989 cents.

Just because the coin has gas bubbles does not mean that the coin has Zinc Rot. These cents left the Mint with bubbles. It was a plating issue, actually it is a plating bond issue as coin still leave the Mint in this condition.

And yes all the TPG's encapsulate them as long as there is no exposed rot.

Ima Dragon likes this.
  21. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Zinc rot is a form of environmental damage or corrosion, and like all other problems, there is a fuzzy threshold at which it becomes non-gradable. Bubbles aren't necessarily zinc rot, however. Often they're just poor adhesion of the plating.

Ima Dragon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted