Does PCGS give preference to the big guys?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinguy123456789, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Of course you want the lighting a little better than pictured, directly above the coin. On both sides I heard is ideal

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Thank you Santinidollar!!! I received 20 responses in 20 minutes and everything everyone said was extremely helpful.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

That part of you is incorrect in the assumption.

Although, I've had good results on a bulk submission but then, I'm not a big time dealer. I just try to prescreen my coins.

Coinguy123456789 likes this.
  5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Bulk s7ubmissions do not have "tier" charges. Just a bulk charging system with a minimum of $10 per coin.

Higher grades get charged more under the bulk system.

When I was submitting First Day of Issue Presidential Dollars 100 at a time, coins which graded MS67 cost me $40 each. MS66 cost $10 each.

Coinguy123456789 likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Nice coin, but, the obv may be considered questionable color.

Just gut reaction, and thru the plastic.

agreed, see above.

no chance

Paul M. likes this.
  7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Here's what I would do: Send it to PCGS if that's your preferred company. If it comes back in a details holder, then send it to NGC, then ANACS. Don't select walk through, the grader will only look at your coin, not knowing (caring LOL) how much you paid for the service. You may need to go through a dealer as there's usually a minimum number of coins required in the economy tiers.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Agreed walk through would be a waste but that one he will want it in the regular tier.

NGC and ANACS have a 5 coin minimum for their economy tier. As far as I know PCGS does not have a minimum number of coins for economy unless it is a show economy submission and then they have the same 5 coin minimum

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

We've seen reports that the grading of modern bulk coins is different from the grading of classic coins, both in who does it and even where. The TPG promotional videos show the facilities at the home sites used for small submissions and classic coin.

What's not shown are the teams of junior graders who do the endless monster boxes, even going so far as to be on-site in submitters' warehouses for weeks at a time.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Aargh! You read but don't understand! I'm pointing out two different concepts. The OP understood what I meant.

Chris

11. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Absolutely send it! It is a truly beautiful coin. I agree with trying to find a dealer to submit it for you.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

FYI - It isn't the cropping that causes an image to be blurry. It is the act of enlarging the image because the blurriness is already there. You need a better method of stabilizing the camera before taking the photo. It's like driving down a road and seeing a fog bank in the distance. It doesn't look as threatening until you get into it.

Chris

13. DieHard11

DieHard11 Member

This is in superb condition! Some uneven toning may put it at MS66 or MS66+. If someone is focused on the coin and not the grade, I would expect it to fetch the price of an MS67.

14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I will give the OP a one word answer: NO!

15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Interesting looking Barber. I'd love to see this one in-hand. From the last photo of the obverse you posted, I see a few more disturbances on the devices than your previous pictures. I'd guess MS65 for the coin, but I too am a little concerned about the obverse toning. Is it a re-toned old cleaning? Not sure, but it has some of those "signs".

If it were my coin, I'd submit it for certification and grading to either NGC or PCGS. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

16. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Here is mine that I bought recently

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm in the 64-5 camp from the images. I can't call the toning without seeing in hand but toned coins are always a crapshoot. You could easily piggyback on someone else's submission too. I just got results (mixed) from a 20 coin pcgs submission. They hated a lot of the toners this time

18. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

If they grade the coin it will grade 65 easily.

19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

An artifact is something that's in the image but not representative of what's actually there. Here's a famous image artifact. ;) mars face.jpg

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One piece of substantiating evidence to the contrary to your opinion - the Farouk 1933 $20 Saint. That coin in any other situation would have gotten a net grade, code 98 cleaning assignment. But, then, it is the only one so far that is "legal" to own. I wonder what the grades would be on the ten Izzy Switt coins?

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

No it wouldn't, they wouldn't have forgotten it is the only legal one to own because someone else submitted it. I've never seen it well enough to even know if it were cleaned or not, but it is not a secret ultra rarities don't get the same standard that a common date gets. They get some slack

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted