Does PCGS give preference to the big guys?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinguy123456789, Feb 11, 2016.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto II!

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

I don't collect Barbers either, but I think MS66 would be a low-end possibility. I need to see the reverse, too!

Chris

4. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Dang thats a nice picture for a smartphone!

5. Here is an example of an ms68 and 64. Both graded by PCGS. The bright white one is an ms64 but looks way better. A lot of the 68's seem to have a weak strike Screenshot_2016-02-10-23-44-44.png Screenshot_2016-02-10-23-45-20.png

6. A little trick I use. I take the picture with my smartphone and enlarge it. THEN I take a screenshot of the image and crop the screenshot. Try it. It really works! Android Note.

brandon spiegel likes this.
  7. This is the reverse.
    Screenshot_2016-02-10-23-29-19-1.png

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think the coin stands no chance of being declared a proof.

I also think it stands a strong chance of getting a Details grade for what appears to be localized cleaning in front of Miss Liberty's face, and especially near "AR" in "DOLLAR".

9. I can see your case for the reverse but I thought maybe the brownish toning is forming around the greenish color in front of liberty's face and hopefully not a result of cleaning.

10. What do other people think about the possible cleaning #tough coins# has pointed out?

11. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

don michael.jpg

12. This coin, posted before, has the exact same different toning spot in front of her face like my Barber. Screenshot_2016-02-10-23-44-44.png

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If you're talking about eBay, then, yeah, I'd like it in a problem holder a lot better than if it were raw. I love the obverse strike. The reverse strike is nice, too, but nowhere near as nice as the obv.

Speaking of the obverse, most of the toning looks good. The blue in front of Liberty's face is of some concern. Given the way you took the picture, I now think what I'm seeing might be an image artifact.

If you really want to know what I think, PM me for my address and I'll be glad to look at it in person. :p

In all seriousness, this coin looks like it's worth submitting.

14. Thanks Paul! Btw, what the heck is an image artifact?

15. I am already a PCGS member with submission privilages. Could I get away with sending this coin in economy, $300 max value, when it is clearly worth more?

16. cpm9ball

DON"T DO IT! If you assign a declared value of $300 and it gets lost, PCGS is only on the hook for the declared value. If you think it will grade MS68, then assign the value accordingly.

Chris

JPeace$ and Cascade like this.
  17. Lol too funny. I DID NOT know that. That was much needed advice.

18. The tiny line on the neck is on the plastic, not the coin.

19. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Good trick, I have never thought of that

20. The problem I was encountering was the blurriness after a image was enlarged and then SAVED. For some reason the final step, saving the picture, always made the image blurry. So I thought wHy not take a picture, enlarge and save it as a screenshot on my phone? The detail is captured on the spot. Then, when you crop the SCREENSHOT the details stay unaffected.

Draft saved Draft deleted