Does PCGS give preference to the big guys?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinguy123456789, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Hi,

I am a long time collector and only submitted a coin to Pcgs once. I have a coin 1897 barber half (shown) that am thinking about submitting to PCGS. I have heard from other dealers that PCGS gives preference to large dealers and auction houses because they generate more revenue for PCGS in terms of fees. I really want this coin to make the grade I want. So part of me thinks that if I go overboard; paying for the $125 walkthrough service, secure badge, photos, and any other fee that would make them more money, they would be more inclined to give me a better grade. I know it's a tin foil hat, conspiracy theory but it seems every dealer I talk to has an inordinate amount of disdain for PCGS. I don't know what to think anymore. I took this photo with my smartphone. Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I am not a Barber collector, but that is a gorgeous coin. Mind me asking what grade you think it will hit? If that's your trade secret, no offense.

By the way, welcome to the community!:)

Coinguy123456789 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is a common misconception that, both, NGC and PCGS give preferential service to the high-volume submitters, but it is simply not true. Nor would paying a higher tier fee guarantee you a better grade. If these companies treated their average customers with this sort of disdain, they would go out of business.

Chris

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

First, that is a very nice coin. It looks almost like a proof, but the rims aren't quite convincing me. If the color is accurate in the photo, you might have some issues with that at PCGS. :/

I wouldn't go for walk through service. If anything, I'd see if you could find a dealer who'd submit on your behalf.

DieHard11 likes this.
  6. The color is very accurate. Shoot. I was already seeing dollar signs, sipping pina coladas etc. I was not sure about the color myself. I initially was planning on selling it on ebay. Do you think it's a good or bad idea to submit it. Or should I sell it raw?

7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

While I agree with you in theory, I think it's pretty much impossible to be "blinded" to who is submitting a coin for grading in certain cases. For example, when an NGC or PCGS grader has a box of 500 NCLT Niue "coins" come in for grading, they can be pretty sure it isn't "Joe the Plumber" collector. I also believe that when a particularly high end submission comes in from one of the big dealers, graders have enough experience to guess as to it being a dealer submission versus a Joe Schmoe submission. Sure, they don't know for certain - but they can surmise based on the likelihoods.

So, I do believe there is a little too much paranoia about grading being rigged against the little guys; however, I also see how it's almost impossible for the TPGs to be blinded to the larger and exceptional submissions from dealers and bullion slabbers.

ChangeinHistory likes this.
  8. brg5658

Can we see the reverse?

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Gotcha. Makes sense.

Attached Files:

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

This is just my perspective, but a Barber half in that grade, raw, on eBay, is more risk than I'd be willing to take.

12. I posted a picture of the reverse. Here is my dilemma. The reverse toning looks natural but I have NO idea about the obverse toning.

13. brg5658

@Coinguy123456789 , that is truly a lovely coin, and I'd recommend getting it certified and slabbed. I'd go with a local dealer for submission as @Paul M. suggested.

14. So that coin, even with a PCGS qualifier like questionable color, would be a safer bet?

15. Thank you, much appreciated.

16. brg5658

I'm not seeing the "questionable color" obverse that you both are worried about. It looks original to me. Of course, based on the images.

17. Pina coladas!!! Lol

18. cpm9ball

I tend to think of the larger bulk submissions as "institutional orders" and they are probably "processed" differently from smaller bulk submissions. I got the impression from the OP that he was referring to submissions of high-value coins, and by paying a higher tier charge he would improve his chances for a better grade.

Chris

19. cpm9ball

Ditto!

Chris

20. I have looked at auction archives at HA.com and have seen ms68's that don't touch this coin HOWEVER I've seen 64's that looked much better than those weakly struck 68's.
    At least a ms66 is what I'm hoping for.

Santinidollar likes this.
  21. Yes, what Chris said.....

Draft saved Draft deleted