Does it matter if the coin was buried in earth or sea-water?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

Just a question and I'm not expecting to get an answer.

Gold and silver DON'T corrode, but copper-coins do.

If a copper coin from year 1000 was thrown in earth and another one on the bottom of the sea, and you pick up both of them in year 2000, would you be capable of telling which one was on earth and which one was on sea based on the condition of the coins?

How do copper-coins look like if they were in sea-water for hundreds of years? Do they corrode in a different way? Can you provide images to illustrate the difference?

Do you have copper-coins that you KNOW was buried in seawater?

As mentioned I'm not expecting to get an answer. Thanks.

panzerman, SensibleSal66 and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I would think that very acidic soil would corrode copper almost like sea water. I think that different composition soils determine that. Metal detecting finds vary greatly depending where they're found.

fomovore, ominus1 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Here you go, a copper coin (Swedish plate money) which was in seawater for 200 years or so. Most of the surviving examples were from a single shipwreck, as many of the others were melted down when the price of copper rose.

As you can see, the seawater did quite a bit of damage in just 200 years. Compare to Roman coppers which have been buried for ~2000 years, and still look pretty good. In general, I would guess seawater is a much harsher environment. 4 Daler 1756 1930g copy.jpeg

Also, though silver does not corrode quickly from oxygen, it does corrode from sulfur, which will eventually permanently damage it. So depending on the chemistry of the soil in which a coin was buried, one might get very different results. Any many buried coins were somewhat protected by being in a container.

5. Herberto

Thanks for that image.

Can u post an image of a perfect plate of that Swedish plate money? I just want to see how it looks like.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

100_1251.jpg 100_1253.jpg Copper wouldn't last in either for 1000 years . The corrosion would be so bad the coin would most likely be a slag piece of metal . I don't have a Copper coin to show you that's 1000+ years ,but I do have one almost 300 years old ( barely read it- 1733 King George Copper. This was found on land in 2012 by me . Look at the damage., its extramental . I think that's he word. LOL

panzerman, Marsyas Mike and Herberto like this.
  7. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Here's a search on Numista for "Sweden Plate Daler" which gives several examples of non-salvage dalers. There's a few 4 dalers like mine for comparison, as well as other sizes.

Herberto likes this.
  8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

The answer depends upon a number of factors such as depth of soil, acidity level, moisture levels (frequency of water contact and duration), etc. for earth buried coins. Coins in salt water constantly shifted by wave or current action versus static position and accumulating sediment with both affected by water temperature are some considerations to consider. The coin affected the most would be the one shifted by water movement which would cause accelerated wear.
    Now to your question. Given immobility, the salt water coin would suffer the most, IMO.

The Eidolon likes this.
  9. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I don’t have a copper coin from sea, but I do have an Early Chola era (~100-200 AD) copper coin picked out from a river bed (not by me), as the local vendors would buy these coins from local people who scavenge these coins along the beds for few cents worth of money, which the sellers would then sell them in auctions and online shops!
    You can see how the coin has a stratified form of corrosion just like the stratified rocks due to constant water and sand abrasions. C6D03343-ADE3-45E6-8C1B-D421AB0E474B.jpeg D39FAF56-2D10-417A-97FD-12ABD805C9A3.jpeg

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

There are some on this page. I used to own a 4-daler piece from the Nicobar shipwreck off South Africa. I think it was dated 1750, if I remember correctly. Very cool things.

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have many coins from ship wrecks/ where unearthed. As far as I can see, they suffered no adverse effects. The AV 8Escudos 1751-So Santiago Mint/ Chile/ Fernando VI salvaged from Luz wreck
    The Catuvellauni/ Trinovantes AV Quarter Stater was found by a metal detectorist in UK. IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0075.JPG cunobelinus-classic-a-twin-tendrils-4155862-S.jpg

Theodosius, Alegandron, Bing and 2 others like this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

13. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

For the record, silver does also corrode in saltwater, and not just the copper that might be in the mix.

My other passion in coin collecting is "age of sail" coins, and I can tell you silver coins commonly lose up to 40% of their weight, even after only a couple hundred years submerged.

Theodosius, DonnaML and panzerman like this.
  14. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

15. iameatingjam

iameatingjam Well-Known Member

^^ I am all of a sudden feeling not so guilty about the occasions where I got a tiny bit of finger moisture on my coins.

panzerman likes this.
  16. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Silver actually corrodes quite easily, not as quickly as bronze, but fast enough.

If you want to see the effects of seawater corrosion on bronze or copper, a good example can be seen with this example of Swedish copper plate money, salvaged from the Nicobar wreck, 1783 in 1987.

As can be seen, there is major corrosion resulting in a good portion of the plate eaten away.

Still, there is a demand for plate money on the part of some collectors. This example is priced at $2,600.

Swedish copper plate money Nicobar 1783 salvaged 1987  2600.jpg

As with many situations involving sea salvaged coins, the condition of the coin depends on factors that either increase exposure to salt water, or reduce exposure, such as being in the middle of a pile of coins or quickly buried in muck that has little oxygen.

panzerman likes this.
  17. panzerman

I would not pick up a Mint state coin with my fingers, always wear coin handling gloves.:happy:

Robert Ransom likes this.
  18. Herberto

"For the record, silver does also corrode in saltwater, and not just the copper that might be in the mix."

"Silver actually corrodes quite easily, not as quickly as bronze, but fast enough."

You are right. I have seen corroded silver coins of Byzantium before, but I thought that they were just not pure silver:

https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2019/3/28/f/1/4/f148d7a0-1593-4b22-a1b8-edccd5e530b4.jpg

Silver actually does corrode unlike what I stated earlier.

panzerman likes this.
  19. panzerman

Yeah.....gold is really a "perfect" metal, for coinage.

Draft saved Draft deleted