Does ink smear make the value go up?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Esonu, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Esonu

Esonu New Member

Hello, I’m new to the forum and to coin/paper money collecting. I noticed a $100 bill looked darker than the others and while comparing it with others I could tell the ink had been smeared during production through the bill very slightly. It seemed like it may have shifted during the print or so. I have attached photos so if it’s worth anything please let me know. In advance thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Would you pay more money for that? If so, how much more? I'm not suggesting only a fool would pay more money for that. I'm just asking, since you're asking. Personally, I wouldn't pay more for it.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  4. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Does not look like smeared ink to me. Perhaps just a slight overinking that caused the ink to penetrate into the fibers of the note.

SensibleSal66 and capthank like this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

My opinion its at least worth $100.

6. Esonu

Esonu New Member

well thank you lol. Good to know stuff like this makes no difference. Besides YouTube is there any suggestions for tutorials on how to determine if money has value over face value?

capthank likes this.
  7. Doria

Doria New Member

8. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Welcome to the forum! While I can't help you with your question, you have come to the place where you can get expert opinions on your coins and currency. And it helps, whatever you have, please post full frontal and backal pictures!

9. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

yes. 1st of all stay off you tube. Go to PCGS, NGC, ANACS web-sites and check earlier threads posted here. You get a bunch of "coin experts" on you tube that know as much about grading as my 8 year old grandson.
    Stay Safe
    Semper Fi

Evan Saltis and capthank like this.
  10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Think of it this way. What is "ink"? It's a type of liquid. If it's too wet or too dry what's would the effect be? Mix this with metal parts. If too much or too little, you have effects that will be different. Not really a defect. Just part of a normal process. I was a printer once.

capthank and Mountain Man like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's not an ink smear but nearly that area was over inked. Not enough to be worth a premium but if you collect paper money it's a good example to keep as a reference. Welcome to CT.

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I believe the minor imperfections you referenced (under magnification) are well within BEP tolerances.

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

John, I must add "backal" to my dictionary. LOL

back +‎ -al, in humorous reference to frontal. Used since at least the 1970s.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT @Esonu. I must say that I am suspicious of anyone that joined on April 1, but will still try to assist them until proven different.
    The videos you should be watching are the ones on the process for printing our paper currency. http://www.bep.gov/hmimoffsetprinting.html
    Also everything you can read (online and books) on currency. There is no "quick" way to learn about most hobbies and this one is included. Good luck.

15. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT. In my experience, such minor ink irregularity is more common than a perfect bill would be. It is normally more noticeable on a nice crisp bill than a used one. Collecting nut suggested hanging on to it just as an example, but a $100 bill is a mighty expensive example. The next time you are in your bank, ask if they have a brand new pack of 100 one dollar bills to give you for this one. You will find plenty of much cheaper examples, and you can keep one and spend the $99.

16. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

What you see is not a smear but the result of the paper composition drawing/ absorbing ink and is the norm with the current printing process ...lately, huge volumes of currency have been printed and fall within the bep's quality control standards....as many above have cited...check out $1 fed. res. notes...

Draft saved Draft deleted