Does coin collecting make you anti-social?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCB1983, Jul 24, 2012.

1. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I think it's healthy to cultivate a range of interests and to challenge yourself in new ways. Routines can be comfortable but also limiting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Not strange at all. I started when I was 7 I believe.

Collecting coins will teach you geography, American history, American economics, and other great things. I think its a great hobby for a young guy. Just make sure you have a redbook, as its a great learning tool.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One thing about ya Bill, I can always count on you, to be YOU !

I've said it lot over the years, I'll say it again - don't ever change ;)

5. GDJMSP

Absolutely not ! You keep right on doing it, and if you haven't already, start reading books about coins :thumb:

I'll tell you what will be strange though. What will be strange is if you do not lose interest in coins in the not too distant future. Or rather, have your interest in coins temporarily replaced by even more interest in other things. Only to find in the years to come that your interest in coins returns.

That my young friend will be completely normal and totally expected. By us anyway, even if not by you. And by "us", I mean older collectors. And I say that because we've all been through it ;)

You just keep on keepin on !

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yep! I started collecting Morgans in 1957, but in the mid-60's, I sold my entire collection - all 800 of them! Oh, I would hold on to an unusual coin now and then from circulation, but when the flame was re-ignited in the 80's, I went right back to collecting Morgans. Only this time, I couldn't get them at face value.

Chris

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

crenna.jpg

So that was you I saw..........:)

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I'm not anti-social, society is anti-greg.

9. GDJMSP

Nahhhhh - just those of us who know you Greg :D

10. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I'm an Account Executive for the company I work for, so I have no choice but to be social to my clients. And it's a good thing I have my hobbies as my escape, because I enjoy the few hours in the evening to just chillax and be...anti-social ;)

11. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Sounds like a Chuckism, let me guess the next one...Greg doesn't take photos of the Loch Ness monster, but the Loch Ness monster takes pictures of Greg?

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Greg does not get wet, water gets Gregged.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

And did you know Greg bowls overhand?

14. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Does Greg growl?

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

:)

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Jason,

I don't think the fact that you think a room full of people who are full of crap makes you anti-social, it just makes you a snob. And I say that in a good way. I am a snob and proud of it. If I were in that room, I probably would have had the same feeling that you did. You just need to surround yourself with your type of people.

Now if you start avoiding real life situations because you need to spend more time chatting about coins on the internet, then you might be anti social.

16. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Now that I think about it, coin collecting is the least anti-social thing I do. My job on the other hand forces me to be anti-social, but I'm not going to give up the money to be a socialite.
    Guy

17. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Ever see the movie, Dear John? Rather than anti-social, I think it makes the point we’re all autistic.

18. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

It was the first day of class. People tend to be nervous on the first day of class and will often try to break the ice with small talk. Small talk is, well, small because most people are self-conscious, want to make a good first impression and fear that esoteric topics or those that are too personal might be off-putting.

The first day of anything, particularly when meeting a new crowd, can be uncomfortable for a lot of people—but especially for introverts, as was pointed out earlier.

Jason, as this experience clearly bothered you enough to post about it, sounds like you need to ask yourself if you're anti-social—or, more accurately and constructively, why you felt anti-social at that particular time. Did you prejudge all these people as shallow? Doesn't sound very fair to me.

I agree with what jeffB said: real estate is the domain of the extroverted. My realtor is the most extroverted person I know.

19. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

20. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

I think it has nothing to do with the hobby you have, but more of what kind of personality you have. If you're an introvert, you will often feel anti-social even in the most social of occasions. The opposite can be said about extraverts. Look at the typical coin show crowd: some are keeping to themselves, looking at coins, standing patiently at a dealer's table waiting for them to get noticed... while others are chatting-up the dealer and anyone else around them. Different personality types have different ways they approach social interactions. Numismatics, most of the time, is a solitary activity. Participating in coin forums is another solitary activity (contrary to what other internet bloggers / posters would often tell you). An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people. There's nothing wrong with that. Some of the best artists, inventors, analysts, composers, engineers, programmers are introverts.

The main question - do you prefer solitude or avoid social encounters out of fear? You might be just shy, in that case.

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Heck, I don't see a thing wrong with spending the majority of your time glued to a coin or coin book or the coin forums. Do you know how much money I save in gas every week?

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted