Does CAC Make a Difference?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Mar 27, 2017.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I've been offered a coin in a PCGS holder with a CAC sticker.
    The grade on the slab is VF-35 but I think -25 or -30 is more correct based on the ANA Guide.
    The rarity number puts it in the "Rare" category per both Tompkins and Peterson.
    There's a green CAC sticker on the slab.

Does that make the VF-35 grade more likely?
    Is the ANA Guide reliable enough?

We're talking about $850.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

From my knowledge of CAC stickers. It is their agreement that the grade is correct. So nothing less and/or nothing more.

Two Dogs and Santinidollar like this.
  4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

What's the coin

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Kanga
    First Hope to meet you Friday in Baltimore , Alan and I should be there by 10 am.
    Second trust your eye....you been doing this thing we call collecting for how long?
    Sticker, slab makes no difference to us dinosaurs . It is what your eye tells you...it is.
    Make your offer based on what you know and eyes tell you .
    Either it's a keeper or the hunt goes on...
    after all no matter what's on the slab you have to live with it ....not a TPG or someone with magic beans.

6. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Have a good time at the show guys.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Green also means that CAC is willing to buy it for bid for the grade assigned.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

So this means that they're absolutely confident that it's good enough to make money off of - that's a good sign!

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That was the primary purpose of CAC when it came into existence. A way dealers could confidently buy coins in X grade sight unseen

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

ANA standards are fairly irrelevant when evaluating grades from PCGS (and other companies). The fact that there's a green CAC sticker on the slab means that 3 PCGS graders and CAC all agree the coin is correctly graded. Anecdotally, I have found that a CAC sticker on the slab correlates positively with me liking the coin (although sometimes they do miss, and sometimes they sticker some ugly, but technically correctly graded coins). YMMV, of course.

micbraun and baseball21 like this.
  12. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

A CAC sticker on a coin is nice but I would not pay extra to have it.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Gold means the coin is undergraded

Santinidollar, Paul M. and Dimedude2 like this.
  14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Part of this may have to do with how very few people submit ugly coins to CAC, I would imagine.

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The green CAC sticker means that CAC thinks the coin is solid for the grade. They essentially divide the grade up into A, B, C. A being very strong with a chance of an upgrade, B being solid no questions asked on the grade and C being it's on the low end of the grade, meaning the coin would be an A coin in the grade below it, but was strong enough to warrant the current grade. CAC gives the green sticker to coins in the A and B tier of the assigned grade, a C coin does not get the sticker, but it also does not mean they don't agree with the grade, it's just not a great example.

The Gold sticker is reserved for a coin that would get a green sticker at the next grade level up or higher. So a coin graded MS-64 that CAC would have assigned a green sticker to had it been graded at MS-65 or MS-66 or even higher, would get the gold sticker. Those are very hard to get and command a very decent premium.

16. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

It's an 1837 CBQ B-5 R-5 in a PCGS XF-40 slab with a green bean.
    Tough to find past prices when the Browning Number is included.

Someone said meet at table 829 (I forgot who the dealer is).
    I am generally in by 10 and out by 1.
    I'll visit Angel Dee's first then look to see if anyone's lurking at 829.
    If not I'll go over to Park Avenue; he's got the coin I'm asking about.
    After that I'll swing by 829 again and continue that about every half hour until we hook up.

charlietig and Paddy54 like this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, it doesn't. Yes it means they are willing to buy it, but not at any set amount, only what they are willing to give you.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Toss your ANA guide aside and ignore both the label and sticker. Now look only at the coin and decide for yourself, without outside influences, as to if it's worth the price of admission for YOU and if YOU will be happy, getting X amount of enjoyment out of owning it. I'm certainly not saying there's anything wrong with said book, slabs, or CAC, but thus far you haven't said anything about your own impressions/feelings. CAC, PCGS, nor the ANA will not be the owner of the coin, and for this reason alone their opinions should not the the main determining factor in if you purchase or not.

Steve K, Dynoking and Stevearino like this.
  19. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Just one more thing to dispose of when I pop the coin out of the case.

mynamespat likes this.
  20. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Apparently you didn't read my original post at least in terms of the coin itself.

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Shall we revist?

I don't see where YOU said anything regarding your personal opinion of the "coin itself", unless your use of "I think", which was directly based upon a grading "guide" that has little to nothing to do with plastic standards, even though this has absolutely nothing to do with your personal feelings/impression of the coin.

My sincerest apologies for offering tried and true advice. It was a mistake I will not make again. Best of luck to you, sir.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted