Does anyone think NGC is more lenient on early copper?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BustHalfNut, Feb 19, 2019.

1. BustHalfNut

BustHalfNut Member

As far as tolerating debatable surface issues, or being more lenient on a decent looking coin with a relatively minor issue as market acceptable enough for a straight grade, mainly?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think so yes. But pcgs is all over the place at times

4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

This isn’t old old copper, but a borderline coin with decent eye appeal and nice color. I had a feeling there was a strong likelihood of coming back details but I wanted it in a slab anyway. Sure enough, AU Details - Obverse Scratched last week if that helps at all with getting at least some idea of the current threshold.
    8ADF2EEC-7EF4-44E8-988B-1BF00EDEE609.png

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

NGC F-15. Then PCGS VF-25.

F26E42A8-719B-4732-B946-34F3A676C5DA.jpeg 1D9594DC-9681-44FB-8895-BA08C0E6FA9B.jpeg

CircCam likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I tend to think, yes, NGC is more lenient in my personal experience. Not lenient with grade, but with slight problems. I have had NGC straight grade early copper that had minor cleanings, small scars or scratches, and light environmental issues. These are large cents and half cents I'm speaking of, specifically.

Additionally, I've had a couple PCGS "questionable color" Indian cents and Lincoln cents straight grade at NGC.

I almost always send my copper to NGC these days, and my classic silver coins to PCGS. IMO, PCGS is more accurate on classic U.S. silver issues, plus they bring stronger prices when selling.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Same. There's individual examples that will show anything, but overall I find them more lenient as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted