Does anyone recognize this shield?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BRandM, Jan 29, 2014.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0709.JPG I usually post counterstamps on an existing exonumia thread, but this one is different. The "eagle within shield" looks to be some type of "official" stamp, maybe military. It could also be a coat-of-arms but looks a bit plain for that. If anybody recognizes it or has an idea as to what it represents please let us know. There's a second example that I know of on a 1967 Kennedy Half.

I'm sorry that the pictures aren't the greatest but it's the best I could come up with. I appreciate any input you may have. Thanks.

Bruce

silentnviolent likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

BRandM likes this.
  4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I was going to say Germany, but the eagle's head is in the wrong direction.

BRandM likes this.
  5. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Looks like brg5658 beat me to it.

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That's an extremely generic coat-of-arms. Most heraldic eagles have some attributes to distinguish them - crowns, hammers, swords, etc. I don't think this represents anything in particular.

BRandM likes this.
  7. BRandM

It is rather plain to be a coat-of-arms or even a military insignia, but there may be more to it...maybe a smaller, separate stamp with additional design elements. Ardatirion may be right that it is generic, but I have a feeling that there's more to it. Thanks for your input guys.

Bruce

8. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

I couldn't help but notice the three feathered tail, the style of it is pretty unique.

9. BRandM

I thought the tail was different as well. Also the eagle has nothing in its talons...arrows branches, etc.

Bruce

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The countermark is fairly crude for something modern. Leads me to believe someone did this just to get a higher price on a common coin due to the curiosity factor.

11. BRandM

You're right Numismat, it's not a high-grade stamp which is one of the reasons I couldn't get a real clear image. I didn't pay much for it but it's an interesting addition to the other contemporary pieces I have.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted