Does Anyone Know Where I can Find the Carradice Reference?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I have been searching unsuccessfully for a copy of Ian Carradice's Coinage and Administration in the Athenian and Persian Empires.

The cheapest one I've found has been over $2,000 and some were priced as high as $12,000! That's insane.

Am I unreasonable for hoping to find one for $100 or less? Does anyone know of a good resource where I can locate a copy?

Edit to add: For those of you that do own the reference what are your thoughts on it? Worth it?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Wow, that is an incredible price! You could always try searching for it in a local library with WorldCat http://www.worldcat.org/ I've used it to track down some reference books that I was unable to acquire at a reasonable price, such as The Coinage of Alexander the Great by Martin Price. A portable scanner and Adobe Acrobat come in real handy for making my own digital copies of the books.

Deacon Ray and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Deacon Ray and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That is indeed what I'm researching! I saw Forvm had a page on the different types which was very helpful but I was hoping to dig a little deeper. From the link you posted it looks like this reference has always been insanely expensive!

Where you ever able to get a copy and if so can you comment on if it was helpful for you to understand the types?

This indeed may be the route I have to go though unfortunately it looks like I'll be having to make a bit of a trip of it since there are not any copies in my immediate area.

Thank you for your reply and the suggestion!

6. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Someone on the Forum thread photocopied the key section and mailed it to me. I owned one Persian siglos and I was able to use the material to identify it. I have the photocopy in my attic somewhere but it is unlikely I will be able to find it this year.

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Hey @Curtisimo I checked with the Library of Congress and they have a copy of the book. I'll walk over there next week and "borrow" the book in exchange for your awesome Lysimachus tet. ;)

In all seriousness, I would try the duplication services of the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/duplicationservices/ They can provide digital copies of all of their material for a fee. I'm not sure how the service works, but its got to be cheaper than $2000.

Curtisimo likes this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hmmm doing some searching on this site's trustability makes me a little nervous to try it!

Thank you for the suggestion though. I'll keep looking into that as a possibility.

Haha I could buy several Lysimachus tets for the price of this book (which I can only assume is gold plated?). :)

I might see if my local library could borrow it from another library. It seems that most of the libraries that have it are university libraries so I don't know how that works between a university and a public library. I miss being a student. I took the ability to instantly get whatever book I needed for granted...

Wouldn't it be great if there was a digital library of numismatic books that you could view via a web portal with a subscription? I would pay good money for a service like that.

TheRed, Alegandron and Ancient Aussie like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

There may be some digital download but might take a while to find, goodluck.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted