Does anyone know of an alternative to the Sigma Metalytics Precious Metal Verifier?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ricardo Vales, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

I have been on the look out for an alternative to the Sigma Metalytics Precious Metal Verifier. I did find the M2 magnetic bullion tester that was suppose to launch. I contacted them unfortunately they decided not to launch due to safety concerns with the earth magnets within the unit. If you have purchased an alternative to SMPMV please let me know what you think?

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You may or may not find this helpful -

https://www.dmia.net/gold-tester-reviews/

I would however mention to you that when it comes to the various testers available on the market, it depends on exactly what you're trying to determine or find out about a coin or bar, that determines if, big if, a given tester will even be of any use to you.

For example, if all you want to know is the gold content, well yeah, some testers can tell you that. But if you want to know if a coin is a counterfeit or not - there is no tester that tell you that. The only thing that answer that for you is someone, a person, who is qualified to answer - simply put, an expert in those particular coins. The reason I'm saying this is because it is extremely common for a great many counterfeits to be made of gold of the correct fineness and weight.

And contrary to what many believe the TPGs don't always qualify as being experts for with some coins they are well known for slabbing and grading counterfeits as being genuine.

Marshall and Kentucky like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

There's always this. ;)

Kentucky, ZoidMeister and Heavymetal like this.
  5. GDJMSP

LOL ! I recommend passing on that test.

I've always found it humorous that most folks seem to think that the reason people used to bite gold coins was to see if they were soft or not because most folks think of gold being a soft metal.

But in reality the exact opposite is true. People used to bite gold coins to see if they were hard - not soft ! When it comes to gold coins hard = good, and soft = bad.

micbraun, Kentucky and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Very true in the "old days" when counterfeit usually meant lead. Today's Chinese counterfeits are often tungsten, and a person might break his teeth on them.

As pointed out, detecting a counterfeit is much more than determining metal content, but if I am buying a modern US gold commemorative, Maple Leaf, or AGE, it ultimately doesn't matter that much if it is counterfeit as long as the metal content is what I paid for. A small investor needs access to an accurate but inexpensive tool that will tell him or her that.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This method might interest you as it determines a metal by the speed of acoustic waves through the material. The US mint has used the same theory but for thicker bars.
    Read this article first , you can find others by Googling similar articles:
    http://about.ag/ultrasonicthicknessgauge.htm

and the device such as this , others found also by searching ( Read the reviews)
    https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Thickness-Resolution-Professional-Backlit/dp/B086WVP136

The majority of the Ultrasound testing devices are units with similar makeup, but are much more expensive. It does take some effort, but less money. IMO, Jim

john65999 likes this.
  8. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

wow

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

upload_2021-9-20_14-7-44.png

10. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

I would like to test if a coin or bar is real silver or gold. Just like the SMPMV. The issue with the SMPMV is that they are not readily available. At this point and time the vendors that have them are overcharging because they can.

11. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

Any one have an electronic tester and what is your thoughts?

12. GDJMSP

When it comes to buying modern bullion coins, I'd say that an investor, large or small, doesn't need a tester - as long as he buys from reputable and trusted sources. And since there are so many reputable and trusted sources to choose from, the need for a tester is even further diminished.

And the same thing applies when buying coins of numismatic value. Buy only from reputable and trusted sources and you will rarely ever have to worry about a coin being counterfeit. And in the rare case where you might, as I mentioned above, a tester isn't going to do you any good.

That said, if one chooses to buy modern bullion or numismatic from sources other than those known to be reputable and trusted, unless you're buying in person (face to face) and have a tester with you when you do, so that the coin can be tested before purchase - well then the tester probably isn't going to do you any good either. I say that because if can only test the coin after purchase, well it's probably going to be too late for you to do anything about it if you find out the coin is counterfeit - because the seller and your money will be long gone by then.

What I'm trying to point out is that while testers have a purpose and can be useful under certain circumstances, it's going to be a rare occasion when they are useful to the average person or collector. So even if one could be manufactured that was inexpensive, which is a relative term to begin with, there would still be little and or valid reason for somebody to buy one.

13. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

I can't agree more, but as good as these dealers are even the best can be fooled. More and more fakes are out there. Not just bullion either. I know of a few vendors that sell at coin shows that have been fooled, by gold and silver fakes. These fakes are getting better. I like to support the small dealers like LCS, Pawn shops and the vendors at shows. I have purchased from the major vendors of bullion coins, but they charge more over spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted