Does anyone know a place to buy coins cheap?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jan 25, 2012.

1. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I guess it really depends on what type, grade, price range you are looking for. If you are going for cheapest prices, then I'd assume you are not going for rare dates and slabbed items. I'd do an internet search and compare prices on the category you are going to buy into.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

And you can find the cheapest stuff coming from china :devil:

4. quartertapper

Yeah, that goes for automotive parts, appliances, toys, or anything plastic for that matter. I better stop now...

5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Lol. Plastic + a sprinkling of lead. :eek:

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hundreds, if not thousands, of them exist. But before you can realize that you have to know what "fair" is.

Buying a coin at fair price first of all implies that the coin is problem free, and secondly it implies that the coin is accurately graded. After that you have to know the market to determine if an asking price is fair or not.

Typically when somebody thinks coins are not fairly priced one of two things is true. Either that person does not know the market or they are dealing with someone who over-prices their inventory. And yes there are plenty who do over-price. But by the same token there are plenty who do not.

7. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

8. quartertapper

Yes, yard sales can have good deals. But, you may have to hit a hundred of them sometimes just to find something worth making an offer on.

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

What do you collect? I collect large cents and find ebay to be an amazing place to find deals. You have to have the knowledge to know what is good, and the time to sieve through the junk, but their are some great large cents on ebay where the seller has no idea what they have.

Just last month an EAC guy bought the discover coin of a new variety on ebay for $17...

serafino and Brett_in_Sacto like this.
  11. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Contradiction?

I never see fighting over a Buy It Now listing. That's the idea of BIN, no bidding or bidder fighting.

They're everywhere, just have to shop around.

12. conpewter

conpewter Junior Member

The fighting over BIN items you'll never see unless you do it yourself. Basically you do a search on ebay, open the first few BIN items that are priced great and try to buy them, almost always someone else has bought them up already. You are basically looking for people who either price the item too low because of lack of knowledge, or just wanting to get rid of it immediately. I've done this on junk silver but never got a good buy, all sold too quick.

13. panicos

panicos New Member

i find this site for cheap coins www.bazaar-cy.com but is only for Cyprus coins i buy 2 gold coins for the value of the gold the history value was mine...thanks

14. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Wut?

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Four year old thread.

JPeace$ likes this.
  16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Hey, at least the poster kept it on topic. :)

17. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yard Sales are good but few have anything in relation to coins. And when someone is selling their selling their blackened Trade Dollar .. lol Though I've bought quite a bit from yard sales even though the sellers were keeping their good stuff.

Estate Sales i'm finding out check their prices and don't give any great deals anymore.

I've bought from a couple online places going out of business but you have to check their "sale" price against the open market price to find out if it actually is a good deal.

You can go to the bank and buy 50cent or dollar coins/rolls and rummage through them. They usually have $2 bills if you like those too.

I need to go to coin shows one of these days .. or maybe not, it might cost me too much.

Thanks for the 2 online links previously.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  18. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Why would I give away my secrets?

Ok, I'll give you 1 secret place I buy coins.

I can literally buy as much as I have cash for at the bank! I get all coins at face value, regardless of melt value! :D

19. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

20. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

All I do is look in the mirror... :woot::woot::woot:

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  21. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I like eBay. If you are careful and have the time to look, you will find good buys.

There's no place on earth that sells more collector coins than eBay.

Draft saved Draft deleted