Does anyone know a place to buy coins cheap?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I know a majority of the time "there is no free lunch" when it comes to buying coins, but you used to be able to buy them for a "fair amount" at estate auctions. However in the recent months, you can buy stuff cheaper on eBay.

eBay is not a cheap place to buy coins, sure you might luck out on a newly listed BIN, but 1000s of other people are fighting over the same coin you want.

While I don't want to know everyone's secret, does such a place exist where you can buy coins at a fair price?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

Does it matter if they're cleaned?

4. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i will pm you the few websites i use :p

cody

5. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

coin shows are a great place to buy coins. Do you have any specific series and denomination in mind?

And cody, would you mind posting the sites? I'm sure it would be helpful to all.

6. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Tokens, I love old tokens, common wheats in bulk.

7. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

Hah, I have no clue where to get those. Not on my radar.

Good Luck!

8. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

This guy usually has a bag full of cheap coins!

SideWalk_coin_Salesman.jpg

9. Danr

Danr Numismatist

10. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

If a coin is cheap it probably isn't worth buying. Coins may be the one one area where it is ok to pay "too much" sometimes but you get nervous when you get a bargain.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Where you find deals at a cheap price is always moving. One day it may be at that local auction and the next day, it's on ebay. It takes work to find them. With that said, I would suggest you go for quality and not price and quantity.

12. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

wasnt sure if i was allowed to post the sites but i will post em :p

www.cheapslabs.com
    and i also buy from
    www.mintproducts.com
    ive only bought from them a couple times

cody

13. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

I love cheap slabs! Just picked up a sweet NGC mislabeled state quarter (among 15-20 other beauts)

14. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It usually involves knowing something others don't to get a good deal. With US coins that's a huge understatement.

15. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

If I told you where to get all the good deals there wouldn't be any left for me

16. Danr

Danr Numismatist

btw not joking about the bank

17. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Why is it that newbies always think there is somewhere to get coins cheap?

When a collector finds a deal, it's usually the result of his knowledge about that particular coin or coins. That's what cherry-picking is all about. The more you know, the better the finds.

It takes years of study to learn about varieties, errors, the scarcity of certain coins. Then it takes time to hunt for the coins. Take a look at the incredible coins that have been found by members here on Coin Talk. Some of them have been discoveries (that is, the first of their kind). It didn't happen by sheer luck. They knew what to look for.

You can buy coins for face value at the bank. Can't get any cheaper than that. But you may have to spend months or years before finding something great. When you do, you get it for face value.

He was an overnight success but it took him twenty years to get there.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  18. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

i think i found my tax return splurg spot

19. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I see NGC coins going lower than PCGS- but to me there is a reason for that

20. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

there was a store that was near me that had 80% off everything because after 40 somthing years they were going broke and closing, (sadly) and when I actually got a chance to go and buy as many of their coins as I could, they had already closed for the last day. :(

21. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Unfortunately, there isn't really a source for cheap coins. There are certain places that are known for overpriced coins...but not for "cheap coins." That is part of the hunt. Look around and find the good deals. You will come across them, but it takes some work. Coin shows are a great place for this. With so many competitors in such a small area...deals are bound to be found.

Draft saved Draft deleted