Does Anyone Have McAlee's "Coins of Roman Antioch"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

If so would you care to review the book here? I am on the fence about getting a copy and would like to know what you folks think.

Thanks in advance!

Justin Lee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Broucheion and Aethelred like this.
  4. Aethelred

Thanks @Justin Lee , I think this needs to live in my library.

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

I have a copy, and rate it highly.In addition to the excellent catalogue, there is some interesting and educational introductory material

Theodosius, Aethelred and Justin Lee like this.
  6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I bought a copy of the book shortly after it was available. For the collector of coins from Roman Antioch it's a must have. On a 1-10 scale I'd give it 11.

Aethelred and Justin Lee like this.
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Looks like a very interesting book - unfortunately it is very expensive.

Justin Lee likes this.
  8. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

That's why I've personally been on the fence about it ($100)... And opted to get Butcher's Syria book instead first ($65).

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I wanted a copy of one or the other but I too wasn't sure which was best. I usually go for the cheap. Haven't found any cheap ones on ebay over the past few years either.

10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Mat, McAlee's book is a newer compilation, was printed on better paper, has better photos & overall a superior book. That's just my opinion :oldman:.

Aethelred likes this.
  11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

CNG is the publisher and it is currently on sale from $150 to $100. Honestly its just the cost of one or more coins. If anyone is interested in the series they should buy the book and skip the next coin or two. You will not only gain vast amounts of information (I know many now these days want everything for free, but that is not how the real world works) but you will gain a better understanding of the coins themselves. After 35 years of this I can tell you to jump on those books while they are still around.

Sometimes books are eventually released to the public, but by then it may be too late. Right now I am working with pdf's of Dumbarton Oaks. I'd rather have the printed set. Honestly it is much easier to use on paper than the alternative. Anyone have a set for sale?

Aethelred, Volodya and red_spork like this.
  12. Aethelred

There is wisdom in this post @Ken Dorney . I cannot think of too many coin books that I've bought and later thought "I wish I had not bought this," but there are certainly those that I didn't buy when published that I later was happy to buy at several times the published price.

My numismatic library adds greatly to my enjoyment and appreciation of my collection. I just bought the Kevin Butcher book on the coinage of Roman Antioch, but Butcher does not list the silver and isn't complete on the bronze, so McAlee should make a nice additional resource.

I ordered a copy for $100 from Kolbe & Fanning, I am sure I will not regret it.

Volodya and Justin Lee like this.
  13. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is looking for this book for free... but $100 "on sale" is very expensive to some. I know there is not a huge market for many of these books so they need to figure out how to profit somehow. However the downside is that knowledge is restricted to those who can afford it... most small libraries won't be buying either.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This may be a case where membership to the ANA or ANS might pay for itself.

15. Aethelred

Having received the book, I can attest that it is well worth even the list price of $150. The scope is well beyond what is covered in Butcher's book on the same subject. It is nice to have both books, but honestly McAlee is the one I'll be reaching for most of the time.

Justin Lee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted