Does anyone have information???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Jul 18, 2021.

1. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

On this vintage Whitman Deluxe Jefferson album? Ebay and Google didn't have any results. Would this further tone some already toned nickels or possibly damage them? I'm tempted to empty this Capital Plastics holder for easier shelf storage. 20210718_190859.jpg 20210718_190912.jpg 20210718_190939.jpg Screenshot_20210608-235839_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210608-235913_eBay.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You don't want to do that. Leave them alone or put them in separate holders for protection.

john65999, dwhiz, YoloBagels and 4 others like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Folders are the worst thing you could put them in

john65999 and wxcoin like this.
  5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I love the Capital display. Beautiful collection!

6. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Sweet set. If this were mine, it'd stay in the Capital holder and be on display on a wall

John Johnson and Stevearino like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’d leave them in the Capital holder.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I would like to have a man-cave with a natural wood bar covered in Lucite with those nickels embedded into the bar. My friends can drool over them and they'll still be there after everyone leaves. :)

Cheech9712 and Penny Luster like this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You have to realize that there's more to it than just the album itself. Literally everything in or about your home contributes to what does or does not happen when it comes to toning. And when I say everything, I mean everything. From the floor coverings to the paint on the walls, to the furniture and accessories, to the type of heating/cooling system, to the cooking methods you use and what you cook, to the cleaning products you use, and your geographic location - all of this and more makes a difference. And then there's the coins themselves, they make a difference too.

Even with all of that said, I would recommend not using one of those albums.

Cheech9712, yakpoo and John Burgess like this.
  10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Things I know, which aren't much at the moment on this.

Whitman does Blue folders, Why is this version Brown? I dont' know. Maybe it's a foreign release version....

here's a cent one on Ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2244705861...pWP4c-hTVRaC4o6FmGxQbslCAzXzbhrwaAl8_EALw_wcB

Here's another called a "stock book" that starts 1964 according to the listing.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/143880297799?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Whatever you decide to do, try to hang on to the folder and keep it/sell it to someone that would keep it for historical reasons. I don't have much info on this. but many of these folders and albums are lost forever due to destruction.

If you have interest in chasing this rabbit, you could try a book called "Guide to Vintage Coin Folders and Albums" By Thomas Moll. Not sure if it will have an answer for you or not, but that's the only book I know that tries to add clarity to all the folders and albums from 1950s-1980s.

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

don't forget airfresheners and fumigation LOL

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Back in the '60s, my Dad would wrap his coins in thin sheets of aluminum foil. I unwrapped a couple of his rolls 50 years later and they look like they just left the Mint. My understanding is that most reactive elements in the air are neutralized by the aluminum before reaching the coins. The problem is, once wrapped, you can no longer view your coins.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  13. GDJMSP

And smoking, and fireplaces, and the coal fired power plant just outside of town, and the chemical plant in town, and, and, and, .............

John Burgess likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Fill the album but use cheap coins.

Scott J likes this.
  15. GDJMSP

Yeah, that was an old trick to help alleviate the effects of toning caused by paper roll wrappers. Wrap a roll of copper coins in aluminum foil, then put them inside the paper roll. And it worked great - sometimes.

Problem was, if there was ever high humidity, then the moisture caused a chemical reaction between the copper and the aluminum and that chemical reaction corroded the coins far worse than any toning ever did.

Just about anything and everything that anybody could ever imagine has been tried when it comes to protecting coins and preventing toning. But the only thing that really works is proper storage. And it took collectors hundreds of years to figure that out.

yakpoo likes this.
  16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

A few years back, I was looking for ways to protect coins I might like to store (bury) underground. I soon found myself reading about "coffin torpedoes". In the 19th century, Medical schools would pay good money for cadavers. This, along with the valuables often buried with loved ones, made grave-robbing a popular vocation.

The increase in grave robberies gave rise to the practice of installing explosives (coffin torpedoes) to detonate if anyone disturbed the coffin or tried to remove the lid. It's estimated that live explosives are still buried in old cemeteries around the world.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/coffin-torpedos

...but I digress. :)

CygnusCC, john65999 and jamor1960 like this.
  17. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Buy the DW Lange book. NGC Grader. He actually wrote the book (or2) on albums.

18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I've had my Jefferson set in a Capital Holder for almost five years with no negative effects so far. I'm converting my coins to slabs, rounds, squares, and self stick. A big project but I believe it's for the better. Good luck

john65999 likes this.
  19. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Indeed it is and so do I...!

20. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Don't do that...not for "ease of storage? or for any reason beyond some sort of very temporary and bonified emergency...and in that case put them 2x2 flips (2 to a flip, one in each side) or other. Even if there were no other issues with album storage, why cover up half of this beautiful collection (the reverses) almost permanently... where they can't be seen without removing/handling each coin...and that's neither good nor functional/practical. Wow, the coins are so nice in this holder.

john65999 likes this.
  21. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

so true..i had an electric salt lamp (just a lump of salt with a bulb inside, supposed to give off good vibrations!) anyways, it was near a hard plastic box in which i keep my crh finds until later putting into 2x2's either for sale or keeping, i noticed with all the humidity lately a puddle of water under the box and on my desk, and the coins inside (some zinc and nickels, dimes etc,) a lot of the coins fused together with a bunch of green slime, ruined...i saved some, but not all..and banished the salt thingy!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted