Does anyone have a silver Sestertius from the Roman Republic?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gam3rBlake, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Heliodromus

Heliodromus Well-Known Member

Tell that to the Thracians ! :)

Apollonia Pontica diobol Apollo, Anchor Thrace 400-300BC 9.1mm 1.21g + dime.jpg
    Apollonia Pontica diobol Apollo, Anchor Thrace 400-300BC 9.1mm 1.21g.jpg

Apollonia Pontica diobol (Apollo, Anchor) Thrace 400-300 BC. 9.1mm 1.21g.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Lol I bet the Thracians figured it out eventually xD

Heliodromus and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

At some point, I heard a story that in the Agora, merchants would keep the little coins (obols and smaller fractions) in their mouths,spitting them out when they needed change. Reminiscent of how someone --I wanted it to be Aristophanes, but couldn't google any confirmation-- used to stuff pebbles in his mouth and then declaim, as a way to improve his elocution. ...Any truth to any of that?

ambr0zie likes this.
  5. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

That was Demosthenes.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. Gam3rBlake

Speaking of putting coins in mouths..

There was a custom of burying the dead with an obol in their mouth.

It was meant to be used after they died to pay Charon to transport their soul across the river between the living & dead and into the afterlife.

They believed anyone who wasn’t buried with an obol in their mouth would be forced to wander the riverbanks for 100 years before being allowed to pass.

66B6A301-7122-4182-BA09-7D3ABA89FFB7.jpeg

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Thank you! ...Right, that makes only better sense anyway. --At least after the fact!

ambr0zie likes this.
  8. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Tell that to the south Indians!

Old, not very good pic, but I try to limit how much I take these out of their holders, for obvious reasons!
    20180524_2018-05-24-14.56.50 (1).jpg

Two coins on the left are AV "bele" of medieval Vijayanagar, ostensibly the smallest coins *ever* at 2-3mm and 0.04g. Next to that is a Krishnaraja Wodeyar III fanam at 5mm (not ancient actually- Mysore kingdom, Early 1800s!), Soloi tetartemorion, Phokaia diobol, Kyzikos hemiobol

9. Gam3rBlake

Hmm are you sure that one on the far left is a real coin and not just a pebble? xD

Draft saved Draft deleted