Does anyone else watch HSN's Coin Collector show for fun?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Arvin, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Arvin

Arvin Member

Does anyone else watch the show? I watch them for fun, and find it oddly entertaining. I know their prices are ridiculously overpriced (2 to 3x the market price), but people still apparently buy them in the thousands. They do display the coins nicely, so as long as you don't buy from them, you can just sit down relax, and watch thousands of people get scammed (nothing you can really do about it). For a young collector like me, you might even learn a thing or two about coins, just please DO NOT BUY from them.

Anyway, new "episode?" today, and it's featuring the new 2018 Breast Cancer Awareness coins. I don't think they have them physically yet (at least not for the morning showing), but they are selling the $5 gold proof coin for $899, graded PR70 by ANACS. Another showing is coming up at 8PM EST, and you can watch it live on HSN's website or their Youtube livestream.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why should anyone have fun listening to a blatant liar? I want to puke!

Chris

FrugalCO likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Every weekend and laugh my butt off ..
    Of course I'm still in bed .

It comes on at 4:00 am ....

5. Arvin

Arvin Member

Really? I don't know, i find it entertaining to see coins being sold at 2x the market price, and sellout in the hundreds in a matter of seconds or minutes. They also always have the newest US Mint coins, all graded, and looking good. Sometimes before they show up on youtube, so you can get a nice first glimpse of the coins.

6. Arvin

Arvin Member

There's another two showing at 8PM, and 9PM EST tonight, and i believe they will be live.

7. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

No, it aggravates me seeing them "scam" people, almost as much as I hate seeing people go into a convenience store and load up on $15 worth of chips, Slim Jims, candy, soda, Red Bull, etc... and whip out the 'magic blue card' aka food stamps to pay for it. Last week I saw 2 teenagers get $38 worth of crap, and it wasn't even big bags or candy bars. Half of it was 50 cent chips and 25 cent candies (and 3 2liters of soda @ $2.50 each). Those things need to be ineligible for my hard earned tax dollars to be spent on. OK, rant over.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. Arvin

Arvin Member

I mean, HSN does get people into coins. Right? The type of people that watch HSN, and the type of people to buy coins from them are probably not experienced coin collectors. So the way i see it is they get people "hooked" on coins, and hopefully these new collectors will move on after getting scammed once or twice, and become more educated collectors. Maybe they'll go on ebay, click "sold listings" and see what the actual market price is for their coins, then they'll move on from HSN. A new wave of new collectors will come because of HSN's large viewership, and the cycle repeats. I don't think people actually buy from them over and over, if so then, they deserve it...

Speaking of benefit thing, I agree with you. I have friends who receive student benefits, and instead of spending that money wisely or save it, they choose to spend it on overpriced brand clothing... The gov't needs to limit on what these benefit money can be spent on.

9. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Stop watching it because the acting is so bad on that series! No emmy for them!

Arvin likes this.
  10. Arvin

Arvin Member

LOL. I can tolerate Mike, but i cringe so hard when the co-hosts (who know nothing about coins) say really stupid things, or ask really stupid questions... "...These 24k proof gold coins are not your typical coins you find in your change..."

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don’t watch it for fun. It’s similar to seeing a train wreck about to happen, but not being able to avert one’s eyes.

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. Arvin

Arvin Member

Wish there's a way we can alert these TV viewers... Maybe after internet completely destroys cable TV, HSN coin collector will die?

13. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I believe they get their pricing from Red Book, or vice-versa.

14. Arvin

Arvin Member

Yes, i've seen Mike use a book for reference on the show, so i'm guessing it is the Red Book. I have never used a Red Book, but judging from the prices Mike reads on the show, the book seems really out of touch with the actual market, or at least the online market. Most coins on the show are priced 2 or even 3x the online market price. They are selling ANACS MS70 ASE bullion coin for $99, where as you can get PCGS or NGC MS70 on Ebay for $36 "buy now" price, and around $30 from auctions. So the Red Book is really out of touch... They help each other to trick the new collectors i guess...

15. You can always turn watching the HSN coin show into a drinking game. For example, take a shot or swig whenever MM says: sold out, limited edition or maybe red oak presentation box.

Arvin and tommyc03 like this.
  16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Arvin The best we can do is to continue on forums like this, dedicating ourselves in educating everyone we can and tell them NOT to watch these kind of shows, not even for entertainment purposes. It is way to easy to fall into their trap. It is simply sad to think of how many people have to get scammed before they learn and that's why we are here. And also to steer them away from direct mail scammers, foolish You Tube videos, Craig's List fiascos, etc. I will be the first to admit I have watched many Pawn Star shows, but only for the idiocy entertainment of the family's stupid antics. I do watch American Pickers also but because I love seeing old antiques being saved for posterity and the characters are much more palatable. But HSN? Never.

Garlicus and Arvin like this.
  17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

And at the next AA meeting confess to watching HSN.

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'd look foolish..."Hi, my name is Tom and I have not had a drink in 22 years and don't watch HSN". Better off I go to the senior center for a pot luck dinner. LOL.

19. Arvin

Arvin Member

Yea that was part of the reason i created this thread, so that when people search "HSN coin collector" on google, this thread will pop up. Hopefully.

20. halvessearcher

halvessearcher Active Member

My guess is that he uses the Littleton Coin Catalog. Kind of looks like it when he holds it up. The prices he quotes in it sound like Littleton's pricing also.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I don't think the Red Book would have any of the new issues they offer. The Red Book is started a year in advance of publishing it and is already outdated when it comes out. They would be better off using the Blue Book. But then they would not make such a killing.

Draft saved Draft deleted