Does anyone else think that it would be a good idea to bring back Liberty to US coinage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bryce Ward, Feb 15, 2016.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

[Ken goes screaming into the night]

Stevearino and Mainebill like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Drinking Jack wearing his disco suit and shoes. Night fever night fever you know you couldn't do it...... :)

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I NEVER, EVER, did that. I hated those outfits. They were like Nehru suits.....

Mainebill likes this.
  5. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Maybe I am missing it but is there a way to delete a post when in "edit?"

6. Gilbert

7. Gilbert

Yes Liberty should be brought back to U.S. Coinage. Mintage of halves and cents should be stopped and the paper dollar abandoned. Not that we should follow Europe but a good idea is a good idea -- they have a two euro coin -- so maybe a two dollar coin would be a good idea? Possibly we could use the millions of dollar coins that sit in Treasury vaults and abandon the UGLY designs that have been used since inception? How about a two dollar coin with a design similar to the platinum eagle?

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Since the $1 circulation coin was a flop in the US, why would a $2 coin work? ;) And as for designs, well, this is 2016, and coin design should reflect that to some extent, I think.

Christian

9. Gilbert

If the one dollar bill was sent to the waste basket, people would use the coin. The design was a big factor why it wasn't (isn't widely used). How can a country that at one time minted great looking coins, fall so far? The two euro coin is widely circulated in Europe so why wouldn't that be the case for a two dollar coin here? I know change is something people detest, but the system as we have now isn't very efficient.

19Lyds likes this.
  10. Kevin Weaver

Kevin Weaver New Member

Absolutely yes, I think many would agree the morgan dollar with "liberty" featured on the obverse is one of the most beautiful US coins. I also think the Eagle on the back of the ASE should be redesigned to look more like the eagle reverse on the Walking liberty 1/2 dollar

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

[​IMG]

Frank Gasparro designed this medallion for the ANA convention in 1969 - the obverse design was adapted for the proposed "mini-dollar" by Gasparro in 1977 and should have been adopted. Instead a political movement tookover and we ended up with one of the ugliest coins ever produced by the US mint - to replace an already ugly Eisenhower dollar.

When we deify our political leaders instead of the ideal of Liberty we have lost the meaning of real freedom. Political leaders of all sort do NOT belong on our circulating coinage - they belong on short term commemoratives only - where presently you can only find a representation of "Liberty" - on coins that the vast majority of Americans do not ever see.

12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Liberty is depicted (not as a word but part of the Statue of Liberty) on each and every Presidential Dollar. Combine that with the 2000-2008 eagle side from the Native American series, and you get a neat overall design in my opinion. But it does not make sense to discuss design changes to a denomination that the vast majority of American never sees and (judging from experiences in the fairly recent past) obviously dislikes. ;)

Christian

13. Badger Mint

Badger Mint Active Member

Let's start with the nickel. Hand cut die, overstruck on a Jefferson 2016 nickel.jpg

Mainebill and Gilbert like this.
  14. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Silver eagles every year...

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

As a visitor to America from time to time, I am sure you have appreciated that I am talking about Liberty being represented on circulating coinage that the everyday 'Merican and the occasional but welcome auslander will see. I am not talking about NCLT coins that exist only in banks, QVC, HSN and a few radicalized collectors paws.

Really only four coins really circulate and only a couple of them have any purchasing power - the dime and the quarter.

16. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

Yes. And I agree with your assessment of the Sac dollar-best circulation coin design in a long, long time.

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Could be a lot worse. Could have B.O. On it. That would make for a really bad coin

18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

They've been producing crap so long I doubt anything will change but Washington has produced nothing but crap on all levels for years. So the coins basically reflect the state of the country's government

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yup, deification of worthless leaders. More like defecation of our liberties.

green18 and Mainebill like this.
  20. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Without reading all the responses, I would say definitely for a return to Liberty on our coins. Of course, I expect that coins won't be with us in the not too distant future. I can't remember the last time I actually took coins with me and spent them.

21. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I haven't even noticed lol.

I've been more focused on world and older coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted