Does anyone else think that it would be a good idea to bring back Liberty to US coinage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bryce Ward, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Bryce Ward

Bryce Ward New Member

I personally think that atleast for one year they should bring Liberty(as in the Female personage of Liberty NOT the word Liberty) to the obverse of all US denominations. Color me crazy but I personally think an image of a beautiful goddess like woman symbolizing Liberty is much better to look at than ugly dead US Presidents. The 2007 Jefferson First Spouse Bronze medallion is one of most beautiful things the US mint minted since the Peace Dollar(Although the Sacagawea dollar got VERY close...).

Anyone agree?

Gilbert and mac266 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I'm a student of history, like many people interested in numismatics. That said, I'm also a big believer in the enlightenment era philosophies that started our country. So, naturally, I'm not a fan of honoring human beings as if they were nobility. Er go, we should remove all humans from our coinage and focus on what (not who) made our nation great. So, yes, Liberty should return to our coins.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the Sacagawea dollar, however. Personal taste only, but I don't think it's an attractive coin at all.

Gilbert likes this.
  4. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Liberty is on Gold, Silver, and Platinum eagles.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Bryce Ward

Bryce Ward New Member

Eh, That stuff is bullion. I would like to see Liberty to return to mainstream currency coinage.

6. Bryce Ward

Bryce Ward New Member

Agreed. That's why I like the idea of "Liberty" on our coinage(and not just the aesthetic reasons I mentioned in my previous post). That the principle of freedom should be our guide rather than individual people.

Gilbert and mac266 like this.
  7. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

You talking about every denomination having the same design on the obverse like Liberty Seated, Capped Bust...

I would not mind it if they design a "Liberty Goddess," thus far in the US Mints history, I don't think they have created it yet... In my humble opinion the Walking Liberty comes the closest.

I love this design [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  8. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Wow that one really is amazing. Too bad it's for a platinum coin; outside my budget.

9. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Maybe once the ATB series is over put Liberty on the quarter.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm all for a beautiful, feminine, allegorical representation of Liberty. Like the French interpretation of "Marianne", put her in a flowing gown, with a sword in one hand and a helmet with a rooster on her head.

Chris

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

There's been talk on other threads of maybe being time to change the people on some of our coinage, particularly the dime and the half.

Maybe instead of triggering disputes on who ought to be on a coin, Liberty would be a good choice that most could back.

Just a thought.

Pickin and Grinin and Gilbert like this.
  12. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

I agree, though I did like how the Mint came out with the commemorative gold coins of the Winged Liberty dime, Standing Liberty quarter and Walking Lib half dollar. Though it would be nice to see Liberty on our mainstream coinage again. It will be interesting to see what they put on the ATB quarters after the series is done.

13. Bryce Ward

Bryce Ward New Member

I think each denomination should have it's own version of Liberty. I'm not a big fan of that design but it's still better than what we have now.

Coinlover67 likes this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When it comes to collectors you will find that most all of us would rather have a return to LIBERTY than dead presidents.

That was already covered in the authorizing legislation. When the series ends we go back the Flanagan obverse design and the reverse is Washington crossing the Delaware. I kid you not.

15. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

I feel as though its been said a thousand times. I would love to have the art of liberty appear on coinage again, but the relief of today's coins would ruin it. Everything is so flat. I feel as though it would just be a lost cause since everything is done with lasers and computers today.

Gilbert likes this.
  16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I wish they would but I'm not so naive to actually believe that the Political Parties will EVER willingly give up their demi-gods.

Not that ANYBODY in the non coin collecting public has a clue as to who is on what coin!

Stevearino and Coinlover67 like this.
  17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'll take pretty much anything over the current design on the dime which is long overdue for a redesign at least.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And the gold weren't too shabby either. I picked up an proof and unc. on the first day of offering (2007). I sold my UHR Saint and my 2008 gold Buff, but I will never part with these two. Classic design, and lovely to behold...........

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm not apposed to Roosevelt he was a great president , but all kidding aside....one needs to get real with expectations .
    As a coin collector, I love all coins from a penny to a dollar.
    But in reality how much longer do you see dollars and half dollars being minted? Now don't think I'm the Hatchet man I'm not,but...... look into a cash register when the clerk opens it up. No matter if it's a food store, hardware store,etc. See that pan in the register,notice how many compartments it has? How about how many slots for notes?
    I see 3 coins in the future nickel, dime and quarter . So many other countries have already nixed the cent. You never see a half dollar in the til. Once and a blue moon maybe a dollar coin,that is if the store accepts them.
    I truly would like to see some of the type coins or redesigns of them back in the cash register .
    Dead presidents need to go away,on all our money.
    But again......how much longer do you see a cash society or societies ?
    Let's face it the pan in the food stores register has cents,nickels,dimes and quarters . The other compartments hold rolls of the same . If you also notice there's ones,fives,tens,and twenties. Fifties ,hundreds are checked with a marker, then sunk in a mini safe. So no need to have a cash pan that holds a hundred dollar bank.
    I venture to say most all retail stores have more non cash sales then cash. Credit cards,debit cards, even if you write a check they process it right there and then hand it back to you,a done deal.....no clearinghouse like the Federal Reserve or other bank.
    But what I find really sad is this.....and this is not trying to be political but if Congress can't work on getting laws passed,how can we expect them ever to address the subject on our money?
    In the vault of the Federal Reserve Bank in Baltimore there are ungodly amounts of gold dollar coins in storage .
    More than ever needed to supply the demand. Yet we still mint more.....and we mint coins that we don't or won't uses.
    All I can say is good luck...... you hear people talk about the day the music died.....well in 1965 was the year coinage died.
    Yes I know we have produced some nice coinage since 1965......but none to the likes of the coinage minted before this date.
    In 1965 one could still fish out silver coins from your change. In 1965 the government actually wanted to put the brakes on coin collecting . Well I know some modern collectors may disagree but just ask any of us 50+ collectors here who lived in the golden years of coin collecting .

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The music will never die with this hobby. It's alive and well, and evident on these boards.

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

One word Ken "ABBA" :)

19Lyds likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted