Does Anyone Else See a Remarkable Similarity?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Jan 7, 2019.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

[​IMG]

Is it just me, or is this evocative of the U.S. 2018 WW1 commem?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

I'm not feeling anything emotional. Kinda looks like a hobo nickel except the wrong color.

coinzip likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I stopped buying the Mint "stuff" about 10 years ago. Do you have a photo of the commem?

Chris

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I thought of that medal when I first saw the WWI commem design as well, but I think any similarity is purely coincidental.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

My apologies. I'm not up on commems.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

So that's where the Mint gets its ideas from.

10. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Just be glad they didn't copy the reverse.

LakeEffect likes this.
  11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

We had the guy that designed the WWI dollar come and talk to our local coin club. He was very dismayed in the end about how the mint does things, and makes changes to your designs without your permission. He didn't even see or find out about changes until he was at the first-strike ceremonies in Philly. Nice guy from New Zealand originally. He lives in Provo, Utah now.

And the noses are about as different as you could get!

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Odd hands and fingers IMO.

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Other than the helmet that can't be changed I'm not seeing the similarities.

14. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

After having a family member KIA in WW l my great uncle not even my father knew as an uncle as he was killed at 18 y/o that design to my eye is some of the worse crap the mint has ever struck!
    As far as the mint changing designs I'm sure if Felix Schlag was alive he have volumes to say...

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

I also feel that it's evocative. Great word choice.
    I'm with you Paddy... it is pure crap.

17. V. Kurt Bellman

The design of this was a public contest. The designer had never designed any coin or medal before.

18. Paddy54

Well the finished product is very evidence of that!
    And to my knowlege most all designs are contest then voted on by some group whom from pryor choices of designs to be use have no idea of what they are doing.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Obviously and I still think the designer has never designed any coin or medal before.

20. Paddy54

Well had it been a decent medal I would of purchased one in honor of my great uncle Frank.
    He was killed at Belleau woods France he was only off the troop ship 2 hours when he died in battle. His remains are burried in France. He was an 18 year old marine.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

One of the odd things about it is that it depicts something that virtually didn't exist in WW1 - a left handed rifle. Southpaws were trained to shoot righthanded. BTW, U.S. Mint sculptors did refine the image, but about 95% of it was by a greenhorn designer. Somebody at the Mint fell in love with the barbed wire element.

Draft saved Draft deleted