Does anyone collect sample slabs?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sam_raph, Nov 29, 2016.

1. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

I have these sample slabs from the 2008 boston coin convention. Are they collectible/worth anything? IMG_2958.JPG IMG_2956.JPG

mark_h likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Does anyone collect sample slabs?

Does a bear do his business in the woods? :)

5. green18

Oh, forgot to add. Nice 'slabs' and welcome to the forum. :)

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I personally collect any slab that is cheap. They're great for young kids who want to play with the coins and you don't have to wince every time they drop it.

7. green18

Heck...a major coin show pickup when I can get them. :)

8. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

@green18 any idea if they are worth anything?

9. green18

With what you have? Too soon to tell. Hang on to them though. One never knows. :)

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You can check e bay pricing . However what you have there most probably 10 to 15 $ . Silver coins or type coin samples bring more. Like Green said they are free at big shows....so they are pretty common . The higher priced ones on e bay seem to sit ,unless they are something rare or special . But there are people who collect them.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Yes they are collectable, but it is a thin market.

David Schwager published a book (search for sample slab book) in 2015 with a 2nd edition this year. He covers everything from samples to promotional, luncheon, etc.

The treasure trivia slabs were given to YNs participating in the game.

12. Davidschwager

Davidschwager Member

The PCGS Bison nickel is a frequently seen sample and is listed as PCGS-005-4-2 in the Sample Slabs reference with a value of $10. The NGC Treasure Trivia slabs with Missouri quarters are also common. Catalog number NGC-025-4-53 has a value of $10.
    No great treasures, but they are worth many multiples of the face value of 60 cents, so don't crack them out.
    Burton is right about the thin market. About $40,000 in sample slabs sell on eBay annually. Some of the best things to collect are items that are rare but inexpensive. You can enjoy hunting for scarce collectibles and can build a world-class collection on a middle-class income.

Eaglefawn, sam_raph and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't really collect these but have saved a few over the years. Fun stuff.

15. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

As noted many collect samples. I have quite a few, and specialize in those with a cent inside. Picked up these last weekend.

I highly recommend David Schwager's book. It's the most recent and up to date reference out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mark_h and Paddy54 like this.
  16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, I collect them.

And Boston was a great show.

17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

@PennyGuy nice sample (it's fun to see 50 year old coins in beautiful shape used for samples)

18. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Thanks Burton. David already has pics for the 3'd edition LOL

19. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I don't really collect them but I have a couple. This is one I picked up for about $10 a few years back.

IMG_5449 (1).jpg

20. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

What would happen if you took an old NGC sample slab and submitted it for reholder service? Could you wind up with a unique sample slab type?

21. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Just dont buy cracked Morgan planchets from 1921. Those are almost worthless. [emoji86]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted