Does anyone collect New Jersey coins? Which book do I need?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swish513, Mar 29, 2016.

1. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Does anyone collect New Jersey coins? I only ask because of the whole "buy the book before the coin," thing. I am looking to collect New Jersey coins, mostly because of genealogy, and I see 2 books. Which is "the book" I need to get. Maris' "A Historic Sketch of the Coins of New Jersey," or Douglas' "The Copper Coinage of the State of New Jersey."

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Maris devised the attribution system for New Jersey coppers but I would definitely get "New Jersey State Coppers" by Siboni, Howes and Ish, fantastic book! You can get it from the ANS, it is not cheap though.

swish513 likes this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You might try

New Jersey Coppers: A Comprehensive Analysis and Attribution Guide of New Jersey Colonial Coppers by Michael Demling

I have a copy and I like it a lot. Not too costly either

Review of the book and contact nfo where you can get it.

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v14n41a04.html

swish513 likes this.
  5. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Thank you Conder, I will look into that one, however, given my current circumstances, I found a Maris reprint for under $75 on Amazon, which is my current budget for a book, because they (Amazon) are giving me an Amazon gift card for winning the building March Madness bracket, so I will go with that one. However, both other suggestions offered here are on my list, but it will take many months, and a Christmas to get the Siboni one, but that Demling one could be obtained next month. Again, thank you @Conder101 and @l.cutler.

Draft saved Draft deleted