Does anyone collect City of London medals?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by DonnaML, Apr 7, 2022.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

As I'm sure some of you know, the Corporation of the City of London issued a series of 30 large bronze medals between 1831 and 1902, celebrating occasions such as the opening of buildings and the reception of British and foreign royalty in the City. Except for the very early ones, they're mostly between 70 and 80 mm. in diameter. Some are extremely expensive because of demand by collectors from certain countries, like those issued for the visits of the Czar of Russia and the Shah of Persia (both of which I once owned but sold), but most can be bought for under $500 when they're available -- which isn't necessarily that often given the relatively low mintage numbers.

A rather elaborate book was published covering the first 26 of the 30: Welch, Charles, Numismata Londinensia, Medals Struck by the Corporation of London to Commemorate Important Municipal Events, 1831 to 1893 (London 1894) ("Welch"). This website has photos and descriptions of all of them: http://www.historicalartmedals.com/...NAILS/CITY OF LONDON/brand new thumbnails.htm.

I once owned 10 of these medals but sold all but two some years ago. Here are the five I currently own, with the three I purchased at a recent CNG auction.

Great Britain, 1837, AE Commemorative Medal for the Corporation of the City of London (No. 5), Queen Victoria’s Visit to the City of London, by William Wyon. Obv. Diademed head of Queen Victoria left, VICTORIA REGINA, Wyon's name engraved at truncation / Façade of the Guildhall with Royal Standard flying above; in exergue, IN HONOUR OF HER MAJESTY’S VISIT/TO THE CORPORATION OF LOND/9TH NOV: 1837. 54 mm. Eimer 1304 & Pl. 141, BHM II 1775 (ill. p. 7), Welch 5 & Pl. II (see pp. 43-46) , Whittlestone & Ewing 72A (ill. p. 16)]. [Footnote omitted.]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great Britain, 1882, AE Commemorative Medal for the Corporation of the City of London (No. 17), The Dedication of Epping Forest, by Charles Wiener. Obv. Bust of Queen Victoria l., wearing the small diamond crown, sash and Orders/ Rev. Londinia standing facing the seated Queen within a forest setting, holding gate open to winding pathway, IT GIVES ME THE GREATEST SATISFACTION TO DEDICATE THIS BEAUTIFUL FOREST FOR THE USE AND ENJOYMENT OF MY PEOPLE FOR ALL TIME. EPPING FOREST, 6 MAY 1882. 75 mm., 268 g. Eimer 1689 & Pl. 184, BHM 3128, Welch 17.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The photos for the three I recently bought are CNG's.)

Great Britain, 1891, AE Commemorative Medal for the Corporation of the City of London (No. 24), Visit of Emperor of Germany, Wilhelm II, to the City of London, by Elkington & Co. Obv. Busts three-quarters right, conjoined, of Wilhelm II, uniformed and wearing helmet surmounted by eagle, and the Empress, Augusta Victoria, draped (Wilhelm to left over Augusta Victoria to right), with heads turned to right, GULIELMUS II IMPERATOR ET REX / Rev. Londinia to right, wearing a helmet surmounted by a dragon, leans against a stone balustrade of the Embankment, and rests her right hand upon a low throne, on which is seated Germania to left; Londinia points with her left hand to the shipping on the Thames, beyond; St. Paul’s Cathedral is seen to left on opposite bank; Germania, helmeted, holds a sword in her left hand across her lap, her right hand resting on a shield bearing the arms of Germany. In the foreground on left is the British lion peacefully reclining right; below, at the foot of the throne, are two doves; to right, stone facia inscribed with the date JULY 10TH 1891 (incuse). 80 mm., 332 g., 12 h. Eimer 1768 & Pl. 195, BHM 3412, Welch 24, Whittlestone & Ewing 1668. Purchased from CNG (Classical Numismatic Group, LLC), E-Sale 511, March 9, 2022, Lot 558.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 Emperor & Empress of Germany Visit to London.jpg

Great Britain, 1893, AE Commemorative Medal for the Corporation of the City of London (No. 25), Marriage of George Duke of York [future George V] to Princess Mary of Teck, by G.G. Adams. Obv. Busts left, conjoined, she draped, George Duke of York and Princess Victoria Mary of Teck (George to right over Mary to left), T.R.H. THE DUKE AND DUCHESS OF YORK around, MDCCCXCIII beneath busts / Rev. The bride and bridegroom, with George to left wearing crown, raising right arm, and gazing upon Mary, advance left in a triumphal chariot driven by Cupid and drawn by two horses, and approach an archway with banners, bearing the monogram G M and inscribed FELICITAS G M, through which is seen St. Paul’s Cathedral; the couple are welcomed by Londinia standing right in front of horses, holding a cornucopiae up with her right hand towards Mary’s extended right hand. In exergue, JULY 6TH, 1893. 71 mm., 248.5 g., 12 h. Eimer 1780 & Pl. 197, BHM 3452, Welch 25, Whittlestone & Ewing 1763. Purchased from CNG (Classical Numismatic Group, LLC), E-Sale 511, March 9, 2022, Lot 760.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 City of London 1893 Marriage of Prince George & Mary of Teck).jpg

Great Britain, 1902, AE Commemorative Medal for the Corporation of the City of London (No. 30). Visit of Edward VII and Alexandra to City of London, by Searle & Co. Obv. Busts left, conjoined and draped, she crowned (Edward to right over Alexandra to left); around from 7:00, IN HONOUR OF THE VISIT OF THEIR MAJESTIES KING EDWARD VII & QUEEN ALEXANDRA TO THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF LONDON; beneath busts, date • 25 OCT. 1902 • / Rev. Londinia, standing on right, crowned, facing left, presents a welcoming address to the King and Queen above her, seated three-quarters right upon dais on left. To left and beneath King and Queen, a ribbon inscribed CIVIVM AMOR ET FIDES; to right, fanfare blown by Fame on trumpet; beyond, façade of Guildhall. In exergue, sceptre and mace, crossed. 76 mm., 245.5 g., 12 h. Eimer 1874 & Pl. 208, BHM 3868, Whittlestone & Ewing 4850. Purchased from CNG (Classical Numismatic Group, LLC), E-Sale 511, March 9, 2022, Lot 768.

Screenshot 2022-03-07 Edward VII & Alexandra, Coronation & Visit to City of London.jpg

If anyone has City of London medals of their own, I'd love to see them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't but I'd love to!
    I consider London my 2nd home. I lived there for 2 years when I was 18-20. It did a lot to shape me into who I am today. It's a wonderful city with so much history.

Beautiful medals!

Theodosius and DonnaML like this.
  4. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Furry, do you buy Campaign medals like QSA etc
    Mammoth, or Rich

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The only medals I have purchased so far have been coronation medals. Not many though.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Beautiful medals. I am partial to the
    DIAMOND JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA
    by Frank BOWCHER
    in your link.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Very nice @DonnaML I have a number of British Medals but none from this series.

DonnaML likes this.
  8. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

@DonnaML, beautiful medals. You indeed have an eye for quality. Thanks for sharing.

Like, perhaps, several others reading your post, I have a small, but growing collection of British medals -- but, unfortunately, none of this series.

DonnaML likes this.
  9. DonnaML

The CNG photos of the three medals I bought from them are so tiny that they really don't give a good idea of what the medals look like. So I thought I would separate the obverses and reverses to try to give at least a slightly better idea of their appearance:
    Obv. Emperor & Empress of Germany Visit to London.jpg

Rev. Emperor & Empress of Germany Visit to London.jpg

Obv. City of London 1893 Marriage of Prince George & Mary of Teck).jpg

Rev. City of London 1893 Marriage of Prince George & Mary of Teck).jpg

Obv. Edward VII & Alexandra, Coronation & Visit to City of London.jpg

Rev. Edward VII & Alexandra, Coronation & Visit to City of London.jpg

Marsyas Mike and Chris B like this.
  10. DonnaML

Yes, that's one of the nicer ones, and I did once own a copy of it. Another favorite of mine is No. 27, the 1894 Opening of the Tower Bridge medal -- especially the reverse, which has an almost three-dimensional effect. I tried to buy an example of that one at the CNG auction, but was outbid:

upload_2022-4-9_12-21-18.jpeg

upload_2022-4-9_12-22-0.jpeg

11. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Delicious milk chocolate too!

DonnaML likes this.
  12. DonnaML

It definitely looks good enough to eat!

13. yarm

yarm Junior Member

I have this medal in the series, the Colonial and Indian Reception by Elkington, BHM 3214.

BHM 3214.jpg

DonnaML and Chris B like this.
  14. DonnaML

One more, recently arrived:

Great Britain, 1863, AE Commemorative Medal for the Corporation of the City of London (No. 9), Entry of Princess Alexandra of Denmark into the City of London on 7 March 1863 (in advance of her marriage on 10 March to the Prince of Wales, the future Edward VII). By J.S. and A.B. Wyon. Obv. Bust of Princess Alexandra left, ALEXANDRA; J.S. WYON SC. beneath truncation / Rev. Londinia in center, draped and wearing mural crown, stands left with right arm outstretched to welcome the Princess standing right, led by the Prince of Wales, wearing Order of Garter[?], standing facing between them, holding her left hand. On the far left is Hymen, bearing torch, and on the far right, Peace (winged) and Plenty, the latter waiting on bended knee, with cornucopiae overflowing in front of her, to present diamond necklace and earrings which she bears on a velvet cushion. Behind them, the triumphal arch erected at London Bridge to welcome the Princess, surmounted by split quadriga with Britannia at center. WELCOME – ALEXANDRA above; in exergue, a shield with the City arms between the words MAR. 1863; J.S. & A.B. WYON SC. above to right. 77 mm., 249.1 g. Eimer 1561 & Pl. 170; BHM 2783; Welch 9; Whittlestone & Ewing 901. Mintage: 350.

upload_2022-4-22_17-56-27.jpeg

upload_2022-4-22_17-57-14.jpeg

Note: The scratches are much less visible in hand, so they definitely don't ruin the appearance of the medal. Also, for whatever reason, this medal is more reddish in color than the other City of London medals I have, which are more brown.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    Chris B and Aleph like this.
  15. DonnaML

Sorry; I just noticed this. I love the 3D effect of the reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted