Does any one know the info on this coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Laurakai, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Laurakai

Laurakai New Member

I believe its been stamped by the IRA

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I believe that @BRandM collects these. It does seem to fit the Irish theme. But He would now the best.

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

The link rickmp provides above pretty much tells the story, Laurakai.

Since RIRA was the last major paramilitary of any significance formed, mostly all their stamps appear on late date English Pound coins. A few were struck on 2 Pound coins and smaller denominations, and just a handful on Irish coins.

Yours is authentic and has all the typical characteristics of RIRA issues. Struck heavily across the Queen's portrait, they all have the same look. I've seen about 3 dozen or more of these, and I've never seen one struck on the reverse.

RIRA is still active, but not in a big way. They joined another Nationalist group called Republican Action Against Drugs (RAAD) several years ago. They're sometimes referred to as the New Irish Republican Army.

Could you tell me where you got the coin? Thanks for posting it.

Bruce

Stevearino and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  7. Laurakai

Laurakai New Member

Hi thanks for reply.i just found it in my change and just put it in search engine as id never seen anything like it before.

BRandM likes this.
  8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I would think it's a bit unusual to find these in change anymore. Years ago it was very common, as tens of thousands of coins were stamped with many different slogans / acronyms. UVF (Ulster Volunteer Force) stamps were most often found, as many were mass-produced in the Belfast shipyards and machine shops. The workforce was heavily Loyalist at the time.

Bruce

9. Laurakai

Laurakai New Member

I think thats why it stood out as iv never seen before.but yes i got in my change yesturday afternoon .

10. Laurakai

Laurakai New Member

It doesnt mean much to me as im not a coin collecter but i was interested in it meaning.

Draft saved Draft deleted