Does a holder add value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by NumisNinja, Jun 20, 2018.

1. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

I recently picked up some cheap pcgs slabbed nickels and dimes. Literally worth $25 according to Redbook. Not sure why they got slabbed to begin with, but somebody else paid for that for whatever reason, maybe hoping for FB or FS grades.

Anyhow, I saw some raw coins at the local shop of the same grade going for the same price I paid or thereabouts. My question is, if they are that cheap, wouldn't the holder itself add some premium to a slabbed coin compared to it's raw counterpart?

Like wouldn't you rather pay $20 for a slabbed coin rather than take a chance and pay only $17 on a raw coin that might be cleaned or perhaps a lower grade? Not big money we're talking here, but just on principle I'm wondering if a holder adds intrinsic value.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

A holder on a cheap coin that didn't make the grade doesn't really add any value. It might actually detract from it, since people like putting cheaper coins in albums and don't want to deal with a crackout.

4. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

It would depend on the coin.
    I would say that graded coins sell for more on average.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Always buy the coin. Not the holder. I cannot fathom any scenario where a holder would add value. To me an authenticated holder only adds legitimacy to a coin.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

All depends on what one considers "value". If straight money they shouldn't, but it's hard to argue that in many cases people do pay for plastic, unfortunately. However, the greatest "value" in plastic is increased liquidity, independently verified authenticity, and all that comes with it.

As for low dollar coins in plastic, this is often due to bulk submissions, but also poor submissions.

Silversloth likes this.
  7. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

So far the the responses are: a holder doesn't add value, it adds value, and it detracts value. I guess it's like a yes/no/maybe sorta situation.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  8. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Seeing as how I crack every coin out of the holders, no the holder does not add value.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Ye sthe certification absolutely adds value which the market which consistently show. Depending on the price point the company is big money difference.

That said your example for eBay low value slabs are a race to the bottom to sell and raw coins like that in stores are generally over priced so they meet in the middle

10. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Here we go again. Buy the coin not the holder. Wish I had a dollar everytime I read it here.

11. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

Yeah, but when you have a coin that could go ms65 or 66, or might be close to FB or FS, that grade on the slab let's you be confident in what you have.

Buying the coin only works when everyone agrees on the grade. Heck, I've come across raw coins that I don't even agree with the dealer on the year that it is, due to wear.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Buy — or reject — the coin that is within the holder. Don’t let the holder make your decision for you.

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

It all depends.

have you seen the eBay sales where someone just had their pocket changed graded? ie, look on how many Cent Errors are posted here that are just PMD.

So now that PMD'd 1 cent in a holder is worth how much?
    1 cent although they spent $$$ to have it graded.

Or using a holder for authentication such as with double eagle gold coins as an example. you pay a premium for verification without adding much value, unless it's a HIGH Grade, then you add some value.

Then the "rarer" the coin the slab can add value, once again authenticated it's grade and being real, or a real error, etc.

and many other variations on why people slab coins ...

There is no one answer as you see, which flips on the buyer side.

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And is part of the "increased liquidity" thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted