Does a Dansco Album Tone Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by collectingkid, Oct 1, 2011.

1. collectingkid

collectingkid Copper Collector

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade some IHC to MS64Red and I am afraid to put them in my Dansco because I think they will tone. Did anybody have them tone or is it safe to put them in a dansco.

Thanks

Dan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

My little Indians have NOT toned. However, my silver proof state hood quarters have started to tone with golds and hues of blues. Hope that helps some.

4. collectingkid

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They will tone. Red copper should not be put in any type of album.

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Coins definitely can tone in a Dansco. I have a Lincoln, Jefferson, and Roosevelt Dansco, all stored in the same place, a lot of the Jeffersons have started to tone heavily, some of the Lincolns have gotten darker, and no real change with the dimes. The big variable is the environment you store the coins in (humidity, temperature, etc ...) and not so much the Dansco.

7. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, incase I get some nice red coppers...

8. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

My Dansco 7070 album contains an uncirculated 1937-D Buffalo nickel that has developed some brown/gold toning, a proof 1962 Jefferson nickel that has developed an even amethyst tone, toned clad and silver proof Roosevelt dimes, a clad Washington quarter proof that has developed some golden toning, and an 1881-S Morgan dollar that has developed some spectacular concentric toning.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would go even further and say that no MS coin should ever be put in an album - any album !

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

To answer the original question "Does a Dansco Album Tone Coins" I'd say probably not, at least not in the short term.
    But to the question NOT asked "Will coins in a Dansco album tone" I'd answer as "Definitely".

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

The toning has more to due with the environment and air conditions then it does with the album. However, older albums do have chemicals in the paper that may tone coins more rapidly. On that note, my Danscos have toned a lot of my coins, especially the State quarter album (like Rigo mentioned).

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Unless of course, you like toning. :)

13. GDJMSP

Nope, not even then. Albums are a terrible idea for a multitude of reasons that I have discussed many times. In my opinion, they are probably the worst thing ever invented for coins.

14. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

It's the environment they are kept in, not the albums.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

No, it's both and the album is a major factor. There is no question about it.
    Anyone that feels putting red copper in an album should think again.

16. collectingkid

alright thanks for the replies, I might then buy brown MS coins. Do air tites fit in the albums?

17. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Those of you that are seeing some toning with your coins, do you like the colors they are becoming or have most of you not formed an opinion as of yet?

18. raider34

raider34 Active Member

In the Dansco albums? No, the coins just barely fit.

Air-Tite makes some albums that they claim fit their air-tites (I've never tried them though). Air-Tite Coin Album

There's also albums that are designed to hold slabs, like these: Slab Coin Albums

19. GDJMSP

As said already, it's both. But there's a lot more to it than just toning. First there is getting the coin into the album. One way or another you have to touch the surface of the coin to even get it into the album. Many, many coins have been damaged and/or fingerprinted by this alone. Then you have the issues of cardboard dust. It's probably caused more coins to develop spots than anything else ever has. Cardboard dust also scratches coins and hairlines them. Then there's the slides themselves, they also scratch and cause hairlines on the coins. You also have the issues of moisture retention, the cardboard acts as a magnet to humidity, and chemicals used in the making of the cardboard.

Add all of these things up and you have arguably the worst thing ever invented for coins.

20. noel877

noel877 New Member

What would you suggest using instead of albums?

21. GDJMSP

Any good, hard plastic coin holder. Air-Tites were always my favorite.

Draft saved Draft deleted