Doctored 1792 Washington-Eagle cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Roman Collector, May 17, 2018 at 7:20 AM.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

PCGS experts identify this as tooled, re-tooled, hole filled and artificial patina applied. Read about it here.

32496_cbcc4ff0.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Wow. I don't know who to praise. Granted, the graders did an awesome job in identifying that it is a doctored coin. I could not tell. At the same time, while I DO NOT endorse the work of such doctors - it's somewhat impressive to make it look natural...

Paul M. and Roman Collector like this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Well-Known Member

wow. That took a lot of work by someone doctoring the coin. Amazing.

5. Evan8

Evan8 Old Soul

Jeeze it wasn't too shabby before it was altered.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Good article. What was the grade? Genuine, details?

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Agreed. However good a job the doctoring was, I still think the end result looks weird. Looked nice before even with the reverse tooling.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Most people would miss that without it being pointed out.

Just think of this though, a 5 figure rarity wasn't their practice piece. They certainly had been practicing on low value holed copper ect

9. For sure- I'm in that group and wouldn't have seen that look as a red flag either. Just prefer the brown before it was messed with further... I suppose after repairing the hole, covering it with the artificial patina was necessary.

Interesting how you can still faintly see the repair in those photos... I wonder if that was the first clue that tipped them off.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They did a good job,especially on the obverse. I wonder why they didn't do a better job on the reverse. The area where the hole was plugged is still visible.

Draft saved Draft deleted