Do you use the Roman Coins and Their Value of Sear ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by oldfinecollector, Feb 25, 2020.

1. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

I want to buy the Roman Coins & their value Millemiun Volume II edited by Spinks in 2002 ?

It cover from the 12 Cesar up to Séverian dynasty I think that is focus on my Roman collection even if in théorie I collect up to Commodus.

Need your experience feedback as it is an investment this ok is quite expensive.

Did you find useful and easy to use ?

The estimate in USD are still related to market or need to be adjust ? If you need to adjust them do you adjust them to inflation rate up to now or just as a bottom estimate not useful to bid just to know that a coin is more pricey than an other ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

It covers Nerva to the fall of the Severans. You need the first volume for the '12 Caesars'.

As a price guide it's as much use as any other price guide, ie pretty useless. Sixbid, CNG, ACSearch and Corysa are all freely available web resources that are a far better way to research prices. Even just browsing VCoins will be more useful.

As a catalogue, I think it's excellent as a general resource and I use my copy of volume 2 constantly, but be aware that it is far from comprehensive due to it covering such a large time period. In combination with other resources though, I find it essential.

4. oldfinecollector

Thanks for these informations, pretty useful, which other resources do you use in combination of RCV II ?

5. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

http://numismatics.org/crro/
    Coins of the Roman Republic online

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/
    Roman Provincial Coinage online

https://research.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/search.aspx
    A temperamental search engine for the catalogue of the British Museum

http://numismatics.org/ocre/
    Coins of the Roman Empire online

http://www.wildwinds.com/
    A good complementary resource to the above. Sometimes there are great resources linked at the bottom of the page for the relevant authority, like a useful ebook link on the Carausius page.

Have a look at these and bookmark them.

6. oldfinecollector

Many thanks for this list of very useful ressources.

thejewk likes this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I find RCV to be both useful and interesting. It is useful because it can give me an overview of the main types of coinage issued in the time period covered. I do not however use it to catalogue my coins. For my specialty, the twelve caesars and in particular the Flavians, it does not cover anywhere near the number of issues that other catalogues cover. To catalogue my coins or to find interesting rarities, I use RIC, RSC, and BMCRE. Of these, RIC II, Part one is the most up to date. It covers most issues.

Alegandron and oldfinecollector like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a much quicker way to identify and attribute Roman imperial coins than RIC or BMCRE, but it's less complete. Typically, it's the first reference I turn to when attributing a coin. It is cross-referenced to RIC, Cohen, BMCRE and other references, which I then consult to get more information.

For those new to the hobby, its introductory material is invaluable. I can't praise the book enough for this feature.

I completely ignore its coin valuations. The only way to learn value is to study auction results and retail prices.

Alegandron and oldfinecollector like this.
  9. oldfinecollector

Many thanks also very useful information

10. oldfinecollector

Thanks yes it is great to have cross references now I know why I will buy it.

11. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I have all the major reference works and still I use RCV a lot. I recommend any volume that covers the reader's area of interest. I use all five, but I think the most useful is volume I for covering all of the Roman Republic and the 12 Caesars. None of the volumes have complete coverage of all the types, but they come very close. If you want to collect by TRP number, it might have VII and not VIII, but the basic type is likely to be in there. By the way, the volumes have good selections of coins from Alexandria that are not Roman Imperial. There is a very good chance they have the Alexandrian type you are looking up, although the one they list might not be the same year as yours.

DonnaML, Orfew and oldfinecollector like this.
  12. oldfinecollector

Thanks it is interesting to know so will buy it

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I use Sear’s first book extensively. 2nd book intermittently, as I generally collect Roman Republic. My go-to resource for attribution and reference. ANY prices are obsolete once published. As suggested above, I search Online stores and ACSearch for comparative pricing.

I use other books for specialty coins that I collect.

oldfinecollector and Orfew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted