Do you think this was market graded or technically graded and more importantly why?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vegas Vic, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think that the coin would have the same grade if it was untoned. The surfaces look very clean to me and the luster looks good as well. I say technically graded.

Jwt708 and jallengomez like this.
  4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Difficult to say but probably a combination. I know that's a cop out but from the pics you can't see the bell lines through the toning. From the lack of hair detail it looks like a weak strike. But it probably got a "cool color" bump.

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Looks like Franklin is wearing a squid wig - soft detail with toning!! Maybe AT to hide cleaning and details?

6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I hat to say it but Chinese counterfeit??

bearze34 likes this.
  7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It's a real coin with legitimate US Mint Set toning. It also appears accurately graded as an MS66.

kazuma78 and Jwt708 like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you guys think it would get FBL at NGC? I just can't see well enough to tell.

Chris

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think that's a good grade on it. The short answer to your question is it's market graded as that's how the TPGs grade. The technical or "condition" grade going exclusively to the state of preservation of the coin is of course one component of the market grade. My opinion is MS66 is about the full technical strength of this coin. This grade, in other words, in my opinion, could easily Gold CAC for that amazing toning, I think the PCGS graders left the room for that, whether inadvertently, or not. I can't really make out the bell lines on the picture, so I'll just trust them on that one. Really, I like it, it's a nice coin, and a good solid grade on it, in my opinion.

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I agree with you. I had this one on my watch list and looked the higher quality pics from the auction pretty thoroughly. Definitely looked clean enough for a 66. As far as the bell lines, I couldn't tell.

??????

??????x10

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I don't know the series well, but based on the photos, I think MS66 is a technical grade. As for FBL, it's hard to judge because of the toning.

@cpm9ball , I can't judge the lines well enough for a PCGS FBL designation, let alone the more difficult two sets of full lines for NGC.

@Vegas Vic , that's a beautiful Frankie. Is that now yours? I thought I've seen someone else post that coin on another site, but I might be mistaken.

12. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

no i don't own this one. i was just watching it on eBay. sold for over $500. i was just wondering if people thought the toning bumped the grade or if the coin was solid with no toning for a 66.

JPeace$ likes this.
  13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think it's a solid 66 from the ANA Grading Standards . I don't think it would gold CAC but should get a green for it's nearly mark free fields , as like the others I can't see the bell lines so I'll take PCGS's word , nice coin .

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now that I look at the price guide, that's probably right. Even CAC isn't going to let this toning take this coin up 9X in dollars.

Draft saved Draft deleted