Do you think this haze can be removed?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Aug 6, 2021.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

This one was a big disappointment. It is part of my ex-Soviet nations set and I sent it in to NGC back in April (delivered 4/28/21). Today (8/6/21) they finally finished grading and the cert page shows significant haze. The coin was perfectly fine when I sent it in and I didn't expect it to haze up since it had been stable from 2010 to 2021. Still, it must have sat in a flip for too long while it was at NGC for over 3 months.

The question is, do you think anything would help remove the haze? Acetone? Something else? Or is the coin a goner?

Original look:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/and-the-stan-set-grows-with-tajikistan.379258/#post-7437673

Now:
    Capture1.JPG

capthank and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Oh wow that really sucks :(. I’m sorry that happened.

I have some 1 oz Canadian Maple Leaf bullion silver coins that developed that haze.

Since they were just bullion I tried dipping them.

It didn’t work.

That’s about all I have to contribute regarding this. Don’t try dipping it since it won’t work and I didn’t want you to risk it.

capthank, love old coins and ddddd like this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I've had it happen with Maples before but also didn't worry since it was just bullion. Plus those were all recent (for example, I had a 2013 Maple that I bought in 2013 and it developed haze that same year). With this one, it is a 2010 coin that had no haze so I didn't expect it to develop in 2021.

capthank likes this.
  5. Gam3rBlake

Yeah it sucks :(

What are your options with it? Were you planning on selling it? Or keeping for yourself?

If it’s for your own collection I would say keep it. Maybe eventually it will begin to tone beautifully over the haze.

6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I would be concerned that those colors might be affected by any treatment.

Evan Saltis and NSP like this.
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I would contact NGC to see if there's anything they can do. I would say...
    "Well, it was fine before it was slabbed". :)

8. Gam3rBlake

But could that be a good thing?

Maybe instead of just getting darker it will have rainbow colors or something?

Granted toning is impossible to predict.

However I do know that the haze that developed on my coins was my own fault. I have 1 refrigerator sized safe so I stored everything in it. I had just started collecting and made the mistake of storing my silver Canadian Maple Leafs with my sulphur containing hunting ammunition.

Since then I bought a different safe for my PMs.

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It was a perfect beautiful coin.I suspect something happened to it before it got into the slab and now it's taking full effect.Your most likely better off leaving it alone for now and just keep an eye on it.

10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This is why I abandoned proof coins. Too aggravating dealing with the haze problems.

tibor, Inspector43 and Southernman189 like this.
  11. Gam3rBlake

I’ve noticed that coins that come in small cases tend to have less of a haze problem.

Because I have a bunch of proof ASEs and they all came in cases and none of them has haze anywhere.

12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Definitely need to keep ammo away from coins.

13. Gam3rBlake

Better to learn that lesson with some Canadian bullion maple leaves than a coin with numismatic value ^_^

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's from my collection of former Soviet nations. The idea is to get a silver coin from each. Most I bought already slabbed and I want some uniformity. Finding a graded Tajikistan coin isn't too easy, so I sent this one in to NGC along with some other moderns.

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

Unfortunately they have a huge notice that they have no responsibility.

"The development of white spots after a coin is graded by NGC is not covered under the NGC Guarantee because these white spots occur unpredictably and through no fault of NGC’s."

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/coins-we-grade/white-spots/

Also their customer service has been lacking lately. The last few questions I asked resulted in less than satisfactory answers. Maybe if I push enough on them, they will credit the grading fee back on this coin, but that is $18. So it's not worth the effort. I guess they could also offer to conserve it but that costs a minimum of $25 plus shipping both ways and comes with no guarantee of a positive outcome.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Precisely ! Getting the haze off the coin is easy. But, that paint on the coin is extremely problematic because anything that would remove the haze is probably gonna remove the paint, or at the least portions of it, as well.

You could ask NGC/NCS but I'm betting they'll tell you the same thing.

NSP, love old coins and longshot like this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Question for you Blake, you say you tried dipping the coins to get the haze off - what exactly did you dip them in ?

longshot likes this.
  18. Gam3rBlake

I used this stuff. Someone on this forum recommended it and I saw it on sale on JM Bullion so I figured I’d give it a shot.

image.jpg

19. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I have found haze on a few coins, proofs mainly. Dipping will not work and haven't seen anything that does. It's either live with it or sell it.

20. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Just convince everyone that "Haze it Good"...politicians do it all the time. ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    green18 likes this.
  21. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Does it damage the coin though? Is it basically dipping?

Draft saved Draft deleted