Do you think this Austrian coin is real?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm curious if this coin is real or a fake? And if it's a fake, what gives it away?
    $_57.JPG $_572.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Daniel Jones likes this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

By "real" you mean not a restrike, right?

5. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I have learned these coins are mostly real, but have been made almost every year since 1780 with the same date as a tradition.

6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I would say the chances are it is a restrike. They've done so many restrikes I have no idea how you would even being to tell a real one apart.

7. Hiddendragon

So the restrikes are still silver and the same composition? Is it like a frozen date? Were they restruck to circulate or as a collector's item or something else?

8. Hiddendragon

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

looks like a modern restrike. I had 1 of those once. traded it for other coins.

Numismat likes this.
  10. Hiddendragon

I ended up getting it for $5. Worth it?

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  11. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Definitely. It's a late 20th century Vienna restrike but still should be at least 80% silver.

spirityoda likes this.
  12. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Especially after World War II, Maria Theresa's (and British gold sovereigns) were one of the major storehouses of wealth in the Middle East - Arabia, Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon, this was the "go-to" coin.

They were popular long before that, of course, which is why they struck them basically unchanged for nearly 200 years. Now maybe the Chinese are striking them, but those would not be so popular. :eek:

===========edit
    As far as I know, 99.9% are restrikes; they're just a bullion coin, struck many different places over the years.

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I think the OP's question is if this is an authentic modern restrike or rather a Chinese counterfeit, right?

Edit: ok I guess Numismat has provided an answer already... still it would be good to know how to identify counterfeits

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  14. Hiddendragon

Yeah, I was looking to avoid a Chinese counterfeit. I don't know much about these coins but I had an idea that this one wasn't really from 1780.

15. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the 1st 30+ years of striking were made for circulation, but like Numismat said your example is possibly 20th century. However, even late 19th century examples are just as nice looking, much like Morgan $.

16. Hiddendragon

17. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

18. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Such coins circulated in some of an African countries (such as Somalia) in XX century.

19. Hiddendragon

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Interesting how they were made in multiple countries.

20. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Chances are if it's in UNC condition still it could be a restrike (millions of these were made after 1780) I have a few of these myself but they weren't struck in 1780 like the coin says. ;)

Yes, "real" as in made of silver, but I can't tell when it was made.

That's a lot less than melt value. You did good on that.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  21. Hiddendragon

Thanks. It was one of those "estate sale" coins on ebay with a really low bid so I was intrigued but cautious. It seems like about half the coins on eBay were from estate sales.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted