Do you think this 2005 Lincoln might hit the MS-70 mark?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pawstruck, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Pawstruck

Pawstruck CoinTalk Survivor

Hi Everyone--First post here. This uncirculated Lincoln looks clean under my digital microscope. Thought I'd ask sharper eyes since I'm learning to "see" coins. I found CoinTalk through BlueRidge Silverhound's YouTube channel and really enjoy reading the posts here. Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

Michael K likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Better photos would be immensely helpful, but from what you've posted I'd have to say that while a nice coin, the chances of receiving a 70 from a top TPG is akin to hitting the powerball twice on the second Tuesday of next week.

That said, please avoid YouTube if wishing to learn about coins and this absolutely includes the mentioned channel. There's a LOT of misinformation throughout that site with most channels care more about clicks and subscribers than the info they provide and/or the damage they do to this hobby all in order to make a buck. While not perfect this forum offers a vastly superior learning experience, and even when misinformation is posted here it's usually countered by the more knowledgeable and caring members.

Welcome to the forum. :)

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The lighting is not the best. As Books mentioned above, there are pitfalls in seeing grading examples in video rather than in person. I suspect it would be a 65-67 at best from PCGS.
    Welcome, IMO, Jim

Pawstruck likes this.
  5. Pawstruck

Thanks so much for the reply. Good to know about the Powerball odds. Yes, YouTube is a weird mix (which is why I came here) but at least BRS is sending people to CoinTalk. :) Since I'm a researcher by profession I go to a lot of different places on the internet and take most with a grain of salt, unless evidence is provided. That being said, the opinions here are very informative and I look forward to reading more.

Pennie Lira likes this.
  6. Pawstruck

Fascinating--is there something that stands out to you that would make it lose points? (Just trying to learn). Thank you!

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

8. Pawstruck

Nice guy. Good thing I don't care that you don't care. :)

9. BooksB4Coins

Just a crazy thought here, but I'd be willing to bet the OP does.

Every one of us was new at one point and is something that needs to be remembered. Yes, we see all sorts of nonsense from newcomers but not all are like that. This gentleman has clearly stated his desire to learn as well as explained his very wise approach, so perhaps we should try to be helpful and cut the guy a little slack.

Pawstruck likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

Now that I can (and do) absolutely respect. In fact it's truly refreshing to hear. Kudos!

Although you wisely admit to taking what you read with a grain of salt, please do be careful even when so-called "evidence" is supposedly presented. There's just a lot of, well, crap in this hobby that can be confusing or misconstrued into being/meaning something other than what it should or actually does. A "trust but verify.... verify, verify, verify" type approach really is both wise and necessary for the new to navigate this hobby imo, and of course goes for anything I may tell you as well.

Sadly, BRSH was once an active member here but seems to have taken an unfortunate path down the click-bait road. In past threads I've addressed a number of false and/or questionable claims to straight misinformation contained in a few of his videos, but if he's suggesting folks come here for advice I'd consider it somewhat of a saving grace. :)

Pawstruck likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As mentioned, the lighting and focus needs to be better. Since it is a 'digital' microscope, the resolution is not the best, and I see some possible ( or not) disturbance in some surfaces. Due to the cost of grading, By the way, the coin on the youtube was a SP satin proof ( PR-70), not a business strike cent as yours appear to me, please correct me if it is. Jim

You have just a couple of seconds to see the label in the video.

Pawstruck likes this.
  12. Pawstruck

What would you recommend to view coins/take pictures? So hard to know what's best when you're just starting out. It's a satin business strike...uncirculated--sorry, should have provided more details. I believe 2005-2010 were all satins in the uncirculated mint sets. The digital microscope distorts the surface a bit but it's very hard to find any flaws and on a zinc, that's unusual.

13. Pawstruck

Why thank you, BooksB4Coins. I really appreciate your kind comments and I agree, definitely verify.

14. Pawstruck

Girl. And thanks. :)

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nice looking coin.
    They aren't handing out 70's for business strike zinc cents, but it could grade high if the photo is accurate.
    Appears to be a slight discoloration just along the inside of the rim at 3,4,5 o'clock. Perhaps some minor rim dings also. There's one on the reverse at 9 o'clock which drops the grade a point. And some minor nicks in the field under the center of the memorial steps.

Pawstruck likes this.
  16. Pawstruck

Not sure what video you mean? This coin was just one I was contemplating sending in but won't now, thanks to the good advice.

17. Pawstruck

Thanks for the details. I think I read that NCG judges at a 5x magnification for MS-70, and I know my magnification is higher, so it distorts. It looks much cleaner than the pictures--have to find a better device to take them. Any suggestions?

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Just curious, so I looked. PCGS has never graded a 2005 above MS68. NGC has graded 112 at MS69, but none at MS70.

19. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

it might be worth sending in as a learning experiment? I am new to the hobby as well and have a handful of coins I am going to submit because of A) A few are rare and I would like verification and B) I want to see what comes back vs what I think will come back.

Pawstruck likes this.
  20. TheFinn

And the only reason he would care would be the $$$$-signs in his eyes. This supposed condition rarity hype is what I believe hurts coin collecting more than anything. Everything schlepped on HSN are certified MS/PR 69 or 70. Gotta buy that if you want to score big and cash-in. I would venture to believe that most people on CT don't care either... I know for a fact the Ancient and World collectors couldn't give the hind quarters of a rat's body.
    Thanks for letting me voice MY opinion, just as the OP did.

Santinidollar likes this.
  21. TheFinn

Thanks. There are enough victims lost to this craze.

Draft saved Draft deleted