Do you think that Roma Numismatics overestimate the value of their lots?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

addendum:
    Rainer Albert's book is only the second worse handbook on Republican coins ever. At least I can look at the photos and note "fake, tooled, altered, wrong attribution, another fake, more altered coins, same photo as used to illustrate a different type 10 pages back, yet more fakes".

The worst book ever is the Spanish FFC (Calico) handbook on Roman Republican coins. Calico and friends made up non existent coin types using PhotoShop. They altered inscriptions, added symbols etc. The photos in FFC are fake photos. That's the worst ever.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What?! I'm speechless.

4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Wow. That’s a real shame.

5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I almost want a copy to use for my information literacy lessons, yet at the same time don’t want to give the seller money for such trash.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Someone sent me this link to reviews of the dreadful Spanish FFC (Calico) book, for those interesting in reading more about the mistakes and fiction put forth by the author:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=61331.0

The seventh post in that thread is a review by Phil Davis which appeared in The Celator.

7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Having read all this, I think the worrisome piece about the Calico book merits a thread on its own.

And I have a lot of respect for Rich Beale for posting on this forum, and very interesting it is to have this look 'behind the curtains'. Most of us are anonymous and might be ranting, loving or overly critical without any repercussion, but Beale comes out unconcealed and can be held accountable for what he says. So - I take my hat off for him.

Clavdivs, Nerva, GregH and 7 others like this.
  8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight Andrew, very informative.

9. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

I just bought a 108 coin bulk lot from them. I can post some pictures of the lot and the info of the auction then you can see what you think (once it arrives)

This is the auction picture
    db_file_img_187916_1000x498.jpg
    Chris

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

This has been an enjoyable thread. While I find estimates to be rather unimportant to me it has been really nice to see an owner/operator to give their input on this humble site. I also have bought many things from Roma (and as I am a dealer obviously getting some good deals on what I have bought).

11. britannia40

I can pick the 108 coins up Wed and will post numerous pictures. I paid 1.92 each coin. The estimated 210gbp for the lot if I recall correctly. Then the nightmare of attributing 108 new coins starts.

Pellinore likes this.
  12. Tickle monster

Tickle monster New Member

I don't see where it really matters. You bid what your willing to pay for it and move on.

Alegandron likes this.
  13. britannia40

OK I got the coins and went out in the sunlight a bit ago to get some good pictures. Unfortunately the sun was so bright I couldn't see the screen so a couple coins lost edges in the photo and one is a little fuzzy. All in all for the price I am pleased. I think some of them can even be cleaned up a bit more and -patina darkened for the over cleaned few.

Here are the first 10 group pictures
    IMG_20180809_105958.jpg IMG_20180809_110048.jpg IMG_20180809_110204.jpg IMG_20180809_110245.jpg IMG_20180809_110351.jpg IMG_20180809_110424.jpg IMG_20180809_110517.jpg IMG_20180809_110556.jpg IMG_20180809_110744.jpg IMG_20180809_110822.jpg

14. britannia40

here are the last group. I put the nicer of the lot in the last 4 pictures. there were several reverses I didn't have so it was nice and now I have a good idea of what their group lots consist of.
    IMG_20180809_110840.jpg IMG_20180809_110920_1.jpg IMG_20180809_111001.jpg IMG_20180809_111032.jpg IMG_20180809_111122.jpg IMG_20180809_111143.jpg IMG_20180809_111231.jpg IMG_20180809_111243.jpg

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That looks like plenty of attribution fun right there. Enjoy!

britannia40 likes this.
  16. britannia40

Yes I imagine it will take quite some time.

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

You may be surprised! Group lots like these from Roma were my crash course in LRB attribution a few years ago and were great fun. Once you get the hang of it, it'll go faster than you think, and before you know it, you'll be on to your next large group lot :D.

TIF and britannia40 like this.
  18. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I know the fine art market better, and it seems to have a few differences. In fine art, individual lots typically have higher value and there's more negotiation between auctioneer and consigner around reserve. Auctioneer's interest is in selling the lot to earn commission, whereas consigner wants highest price. Auctioneer's dilemma is negotiating reserve high enough to win the consignment but low enough to ensure sale and generate interest.

Usually auctioneer wants low estimate, but not always. As with the coin world, there are price databases. But they're not always easy to apply: minor variations and differences in condition make a difference that's hard to predict. An unusually great picture by a minor artist might be given a high estimate to signal to potential buyers and anchor their bids at a higher level, rather than just putting on the lowest possible estimate.

It seems more common to make post-sale offers under the reserve in art auctions. Some coin auctioneers seem taken aback that I'd even ask. I guess the differences are because it's a higher volume/lower value business with more homogeneous objects.

Pellinore, R*L and britannia40 like this.
  19. Ashley Reed

Ashley Reed New Member

Hello I know that I am probably going to embarrass myself by posting here because I am new to this forum and a bit turned around, I apologize for interrupting your forum. I am looking to find where one would go to post a thread for all things coin chat? I am also new to coins being only 6 months a collector and I am thirsty for knowledge! Thank you and again I apologize for the interruption!

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Right here, Ashley. Welcome to CT!

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You posted in the Ancient Coin section of Coin Talk. If you are interested in coins more than a thousand years old, you did well. If you are interested in other coins (modern, bullion etc.) there are other sections of Coin Talk where your post would have been better. Here, we are very happy to help new folks interested in getting into really, really old coins. I do not frequent the other sections so I can't guess how your question would have been received there.

There is a section on Coin Talk specifically for chatting. If you have no interest in Ancients try there.
    https://www.cointalk.com/forums/coin-chat/
    Unfortunately a good percentage of posts there would have been better directed to a specific sub-forum of Coin Talk. You really do stand a better chance of getting an answer if you more carefully craft your question.

If you are interested in Ancients, try not to post randomly to threads on other subjects especially threads that are two years old as was this one. Go to the Ancients main page and start a new topic there.
    https://www.cointalk.com/forums/ancients/

Draft saved Draft deleted