Do you think PCGS should have slabbed this?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, May 25, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

What are the spots? Looks like corrosion? It's not mine. Graded AU50.
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600a.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I'm on the fence personally. The spots appear to dig into the coin.
    Definitely will not sell for as much as a clean example, as luster and eye appeal do affect the value of circulated grade coins.

4. zachfromnj

zachfromnj Junior Member

Can we rule out they haven't progressed over the years??

What did it look like originally pre slab??

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes...and they should have given it a "details" label. In some cases, haze, stains, and spots happen to coins after they are slabbed. That is DEFINITLY not the case here. Is the slab authentic?

6. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

With the three holders around the coin, it should be a fairly modern holder. I'm on the fence too. Carbon spots CAN be market acceptable, but in this case, there are quite a few and I think they really begin to take away from the overall eye-appeal of the coin. I get the feeling that PCGS won't award a Details grade for Environmental Damage unless there are distinct divots or corrosion in the surface. Given time, this coin would get there, but not yet.

Short answer: I think this coin can probably live in a problem-free holder, but I wouldn't buy it.

Stevearino and Paul M. like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Assuming that the slab is legit, we can guess that it hasn't been in this slab too long since PCGS only started using it about 7-8 years ago.

Chris

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I like the reverse a lot.

On the other hand, in addition to being spotted, the obverse also appears to me to have been cleaned.

Does it look that way in person too?

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    ldhair and Paul M. like this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I agree with a possible cleaning. Haven't seen it in hand, though. It almost looks lustrous, though, which is maybe why they gave it the AU.

10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Looks like it was dipped at some time to remove the carbon spots...has that adobe pink look.

11. Insider

100% NOT original color. Definitely cleaned at some time (patches of various colors.) Coin is an unattractive, non-original AU.

:sorry: Forgot: IMO.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Paul M. likes this.
  12. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

IMO, no. But it doesn't matter - no one would pay au50 money for it anyway.

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd say this is a real borderline case. I agree with those who say the surfaces look off, but some of the black spots might be gunk. I'm thinking the stuff clinging to the outside of the letters in UNITED might just be circulation gunk. In any case, there's no way I'd buy this at an AU50 price. If the obverse matched the reverse, I'd gladly own it.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Cleaned or not, carbon spots or not, I would look elsewhere. Not an attractive coin at all.

Insider likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'd buy it.......for the right price. Then I'd more than likely crack the sucker..........free it from its' confines and restrictions, thereby allowing it to survive in a more normal environment. :)

Insider likes this.
  16. Insider

I agree, the stuff on the letters looks like gunk that can be removed; yet possibly leaving a stained surface. There are other spots formed from corrosion. A good way to tell is to look closely at the spots next to the "5" and on the "A." You should see a tiny, raised, black lump in the center. That is the foreign matter or more likely the corrosion "debris" coming up from the coins surface. The "black" color around the lumps is call the "reaction ring" of discoloration that often accompanies these lumps.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Insider

As soon as I read "crack out,", I thought you were going in one direction::arghh: I'm waiting for the "acetone soakers" to chime in.:D:p

Paul M. likes this.
  18. green18

I'm not much the 'cleaner' of things but this might be a good candidate for doing so......if the price were right. I say that because if I were to screw things up there's not much to cry about.

19. Insider

That was the old days! That coin probably sells for over $$$ for someone who "bites.":bigtears: $35-40 and the price is right for me but I'll keep dreaming.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

green18 likes this.
  20. green18

Me too..........:)

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

"Allowing it to survive in a more normal environment "
    Would that environment include cigar smoke and bourbon sour mash? In a somewhat dark room surrounded by soft leather....seating? :)

Mainebill, Insider and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted