Do you test your own coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Localyokel, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Localyokel

Localyokel Junior Member

HI:
    I have until recently been of the belief that faking low value coins such as common date Peace and/or especially junk silver was cost prohibitive. But after hearing enough talk and watching some Youtube videos on the subject, I'm beginning to rethink this. I am looking for tools to help me determine the authenticity of coins. Are there any you guys can recommend? Scales? Silver test kits? Methods you can share? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

The ANA has a correspondence course called Detecting Altered and Counterfeit Coins. It includes a DVD -- it's a bit dated (hello 1990s haircut!), but the information is perfectly up-to-date.

You watch the DVD and go through a work book.

I highly recommend spending a few bucks to take this course.

I've taken some of their correspondence courses without registering to earn a certificate. It's $100 to register for the certificate and an additional $200 to take the final test. I personally don't care about the certificate, so I've just taken the courses individually and saved myself that extra $300.

asheland, JAY-AR and Localyokel like this.
  4. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I test all the silver coins I buy by checking their weight and diameter. There are many fake coins out there and our "friends" in China are cranking them out.

If you are a serious coin collector I recommend a accurate scale and digital caliper. They are not too expensive.

JAY-AR, Localyokel and imrich like this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yes, this exactly. Two of the best capital investments you'll ever make. My current caliper and scale are analog, but my next ones will probably be digital. Age is relentless.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    JAY-AR and Localyokel like this.
  6. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Don't forget a good magnet! Localyokel, you a Peace$ guy? Love the Peace$....my most favorite coin. I've been buying Morgan's and Peace$ for the past couple years. 500+ and in that time I have rec'v 2 counterfeit Morgan's. Both of them were spot on weight and diameter and both were not attracted to magnet. My Peeps here at CT spotted they were fakes almost instantly. Fortunately I have access to a XRF where I work, not a trace of silver in either coin. It's amazing how the Chinese can manufacture these fakes. Great post!:happy:

serafino likes this.
  7. Localyokel

Localyokel Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess there is no way to confirm silver content without damaging the coin? It seems with the low value coins they don't use silver, but the higher value numismatics they might.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A lot of people think along those lines, but it's not true, never has been. Low value coins are the easiest ones to get away with counterfeiting because no one ever suspects them - for the same reasons you don't.

Think about it for a minute. If you go to a store and tender a 1, 5, 10, or $20 bill does anybody check it to see if it's counterfeit ? No, but they'll sure check a $50 or a $100. In sheer numbers of bills, the $1 bill has had more counterfeits made than any other. Same kind of thing with coins.

Yes there is, it's called an XRF machine. But they aren't cheap.

asheland and JAY-AR like this.
  9. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

You could use something like this. http://alloytester.com

10. Localyokel

Localyokel Junior Member

That might be a little out of my price range

11. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Experience is a big plus. Having seen and held many coins, you'll notice when one is just off.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

While this is undeniably the case, I never felt happy with myself until I could succinctly express exactly WHY it was off. Know what I mean?

352sdeer, Localyokel and asheland like this.
  13. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

14. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Ditto, if I'm ever in doubt, I use you guys:happy:

15. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I used to work for the federal government, and one of the things the North Koreans did was bleach $1 bills, then print the $100s over them. Thus, it gave it the "feel" and durability of true paper (cloth) currency that no one could ever perfect. Of course, once washed the color would come out.

16. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Bellman’s current scales and caliper set:
    3162A88D-9BA5-44D2-A350-BACA9F616108.jpeg 66799710-34D8-473D-8FE2-A6898EAB8762.jpeg
    He’s kinda old school still! Lol
    Love ya buddy,
    Reed.

P.s. I’m even lower tech, this is my scale and caliper in one convenient package.
    image.jpg

Bellman and I arguing over who’s scales are best:
    35DBBB69-65D3-4C9F-958F-4FDF83513CB1.gif

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Localyokel likes this.
  17. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

That darn cabbage patch kid! Some people’s children sheesh.

JCro57 likes this.
  18. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Mr Bellman can you tell me where Red Rose CC is?

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

"Do you test your own coins"?

I give them multiple choice questions, on animals and gram crackers, on a weekly basis. Most pass, but some fail.........

asheland and 352sdeer like this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That ain't a club, it's a bar in Queens......... devil.gif

352sdeer likes this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

Draft saved Draft deleted