Do you send different coin series to different grading services?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Spikeo, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Spikeo

Spikeo New Member

I send 10 to 15 coins yearly to both PCGS, NGC. I wondered if anyone send say walkers to one, Morgan’s to another, copper to another.
    It would be interested to see what series you send to one verses the other.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yes but i.d.k about which company grades which coins better/harder

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well, it kinda depends on what you're after. For example, if you are sending in coins that you want labeled with special designations like FS, FB, FBL, FH, etc etc - NGC is and always has been tougher (stricter requirements) than PCGS for all special designations.

For coin grades in general, yes, with some coins each company is tougher on one, looser on another than the other company. So again, it depends on what you're after. Do you want higher grades or tougher and therefore lower grades ?

The TPGs do this deliberately as a way of competing against each other. Tougher on this one, looser on that one - it ensures that people will send them their coins to be graded depending on what it is they are after. One way or another, each one is going to get some of the people.

As for which company is toughest with each series, well there was a time I could give you a fairly decent list. But in the past 5-10 years the TPGs have all loosened their grading standards so much and so many times that what used to be may not be any longer. And to be honest with ya, coins are so routinely over-graded by all the TPGs that I don't know that it even matters anymore.

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I have a membership to both. I prefer tougher grading because it aligns more closely with my own standards, so I generally prefer NGC, however, for most medals and US coins where designation or variety is unimportant, I prefer PCGS.

brg5658 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted